Celebrating Christmas with your Housemates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It is finally that time of year again! Christmas is just around the corner, and each day people are starting to feel a little more festive. However, it can sometimes be hard to fully embrace the Christmas spirit so far from home and the family traditions that we have long associated with this period. Whether it is just the build up to Christmas you’re spending at uni or the special day itself, here are some ideas on how you can get festive with your housemates, helping you make new Christmas memories!

Christmas Decorations

I think one of the most upsetting things about spending December at uni is fact that, when you return from campus, there are signs of Christmas awaiting you at home. Thankfully, this is easily fixed! You can purchase a small artificial tree from somewhere like Wilko in town or even look online. If your whole house chips in, this shouldn’t break the bank. Just remember to buy some mini baubles to decorate! It can also help make your house more Christmases if you buy tinsel to wrap round the bannisters or a garland to hang from the wall. Alternatively, make your own decorations. From traditional paper chains to drying out oranges, there numerous ways to get creative. This can be a great activity to do with your housemates.

Throw a Christmas Party

With Christmas décor sorted, a party is needed to showcase your artistic talent. Whether it is just your house, or you invite your course mates as well, this can really help people get into the Christmas spirit. Create a playlist everyone can add their favourite Christmas songs to, find a couple of cocktail recipes to try and maybe even buy (or make) some festive snacks. This can be a really lovely way to celebrate the end of the year and wish everyone a merry Christmas before you leave for the holidays.

Make a Christmas Dinner

Another brilliant send-off is sitting down for a Christmas dinner with your housemates. Whilst it may seem a little daunting to cook your own festive roast, with everyone helping out, this becomes a lot easier. To ensure things run smoothly it may be useful to assign one housemate the role of overseeing what goes in the oven when. This means you won’t have cooked carrots but a raw turkey! It is also lovely to eat at decorated table, so nominate your most artistic housemate to be in charge of a tablecloth, holly, candles and, most importantly, crackers!  

Secret Santa

Secret Santa involves all your housemates putting their names in a hat and drawing out one piece of paper each. Whoever’s name they draw, they then secretly buy them a present. It is best to agree a budget beforehand, so everyone gets a similar priced gift. A date is then arranged for everyone to give the presents to their chosen person. Each person then takes it in turns guessing who got them their present. This can be a really fun way of exchanging gifts and helps you get to know your housemates better. It also means you don’t have to worry about buying a present for everyone, instead you can get something really meaningful (and often funny) for one person.

Visit Exeter Christmas Market

For those of you who aren’t familiar with Exeter’s Christmas Market, you are missing out! Every year, there is an opportunity for small business to sell from cabins on the Cathedral Green. This is a perfect place to find gifts from friends back home or stocking-fillers for your family. Trying the food is an absolute must, so I would definitely recommend taking a break from cooking and buying dinner there.

Go to the Panto

Is Christmas even Christmas without a trip to the theatre? For me, this easy-viewing entertainment is the perfect way to reinvigorate a childish excitement for Christmas. Luckily, there is a theatre on Streatham Campus, so you don’t have to look to far to find a panto to watch with you housemates. This year, Northcott Theatre is showcasing Dick Whittington by La Navet Bete. After watching Northcott’s and La Navet Bete’s pantomimes for the past two years, I can tell you that they are absolutely hilarious and a must-see! If you and your housemates decide to get tickets, I recommend getting an Under 26 Membership (for free!), which gives you’re a discount on most production held at Northcott. Other pantos on in the Exeter area include Sleeping Beauty at Exeter Corn Exchange.

With so many ways to celebrate Christmas with your housemates, what are you waiting for? Whether its decorating you house, hosting a party or heading out to the panto or Exeter Market, there are plenty of ways to help you feel Christmassy this December!

Hello! I'm a third-year history student studying at Exeter Uni, who loves reading, travelling, baking, acting and a variety of sports.