Campus Celebrity: Saskia Gates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

HCX Celeb – Saskia Gates

President of Exeter UBT

As CoppaFeel!’s national boob week approaches, Her Campus got the chance to catch up with third year Law student and President of Exeter Uni Boob Team, Saskia Gates, to find out all about the charity and what made her want to set up a Uni Boob Team at Exeter!

When did you first hear about CoppaFeel & what made you want to get involved?

I first heard about CoppaFeel! through Milkround during my second year at Exeter and it sounded like a really exciting charity that was communicating such an important message. The aim of the charity (to get all young people regularly checking their boobs and familiar with the early signs/symptoms of breast cancer) is so relevant to university students and I have loved the opportunity to set up a Uni Boob Team here at Exeter!

What do you think is the best thing about CoppaFeel!?

The best thing about CoppaFeel! is the weird looks you get when you are wearing a giant boob! We raise awareness and try to get as many young people starting the healthy habit of regular boob checking through fun events and platforms such as the #whatnormalfeelslike campaign. CoppaFeel! gives us the opportunity on campus to break the negative taboos around boob checking. They also offer a monthly text reminder service, so text ‘ubtexeter’ to 70500 for your free monthly boob checking reminders (and a 20% off Boux Avenue discount!).

What are Exeter UBT’s plans for this term?

This term we have planned our first Boob Ball tournament for the 27th February 3.30-5.00pm (dodge ball with balls in the shape of boobs!), and we will also be hosting another event before Cheesy Tuesdays near the end of the term. We are also hoping to collaborate further with BodySoc on their Film and Pizza Night! To keep updated with our events like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter! www.facebook.com/ubtexeter @UBTExeter

What would you say to anyone that is considering getting involved?

Being part of the Uni Boob Team is a fun and rewarding way to get involved with charity work in your time at university. There are so many opportunities within the team so you can get involved in fundraising, awareness or publicising the charity. Email ubtexeter@hotmail.co.uk or search for us on Facebook or Twitter to find out more.

What are your hobbies outside of UBT?

I am running the Bath Half for CoppaFeel! in less than a month so I am trying to get some serious training time in at the moment! There is nothing better than running at the Quay early in the morning with the sun shining!

To find out more about CoppaFeel! visit their website at www.coppafeel.org and remember: knowing your boobs could save your life

Photo credit: Facebook