Campus Celebrity- Man Yee Woo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week HCX caught up with Man Yee Woo – otherwise known on YouTube as Mighty Mannie, the first year Maths and Management student with 25,000 subscribers – over a bowl of The Ram’s curly fries.

HCX: So, what got you into YouTube?

MYW: Well, I really like sewing. When I was around 11, I started making costumes for Comic Con, a popular arts convention in London. My mum helped me and taught me different sewing techniques and so I just started sewing. I wanted to make tutorials to show people online and so I set up a channel. That’s why most of my videos are sewing videos.

HCX: How long have you been making videos for then?

MYW: Around 3 or 4 years I think. I don’t upload often so it’s been on and off for 3 to 4 years.

HCX: Wow, that’s a lot of time you’ve put into your channel! How would you describe your channel to someone that hasn’t watched your videos?

MYW: DIY, practical, and very good for saving money. I made a laptop case a while back and it’s so much cheaper than buying one. Also, I can call it unique because I designed it and no-one else will have exactly the same style.

HCX: Very cool. Would you say that YouTube has given you any opportunities that you wouldn’t otherwise have had?

MYW: Yeah, actually right before I came to Exeter, Lush had a bloggers’ event. They got some bloggers from my local area to come in for a hand massage, foot massage, and they gave us a goody bag that had a lot of Lush products in it. It was so good! Also, companies sometimes send me clothes and I review them or style them. Actually, my outfit today was sent to me by a company. It’s great.

HCX: Ahh, jealous! Do you ever find it daunting, though, that your videos are being watched by such a large audience?

MYW: I don’t really think about it. I never really check the view counts. I read the comments and reply to them but I try to not look at the views. It was my best friend who told me that I had 25,000 subscribers. I wouldn’t have realised if she hadn’t told me!

HCX: So you’re a fashion wiz and style guru – what’s your favourite thing to wear in the Autumn?

MYW: A tartan scarf – that’s my favourite thing. I don’t even know if it is still on trend but I love it!

HCX: If you’re not making your own clothes where would you shop?

MYW: H&M and Urban Outfitters – I love that place, I’m so glad there’s one in town! I don’t shop in Topshop too much because I find that the things are often overpriced. Sometimes I look online, I’ve only ever bought one thing from ASOS though.

HCX: What are you most looking forward to about Exeter?

MYW: Making friends. I’ve also joined the Badminton club, Christian Union and Hong Kong Society so I’m looking forward to meeting new people and getting involved.

Check out Man Yee’s YouTube channel here

Madeleine is a third year English with French student, the Travel section's Deputy Editor 2014/15 and has been a member of HCX for three years. Apart from dreaming about her next travel destination, Madeleine enjoys discovering new music and trying to fit as much velvet and glitter into her outfits.