Campus Celebrity: Alice Chalk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Introducing Alice Chalk, a third year Drama student and the Director of EUTCo’s upcoming show: Lucy Prebble’s ‘ENRON’.

How would you summarize the play to those who have never heard of it?

Lucy Prebble’s Enron is about an energy company that went bankrupt in the early 21st Century and caused one of the biggest corporate scandals the world had seen. That sounds a bit dry, but it isn’t. It’s flashy, and it’s bold and it’s interesting to watch even if you have absolutely no knowledge of the true story behind it. There’s a big movement sequence with lightsabers, there are velociraptors hiding behind filing cabinets and, at the heart of it all, there are some really interesting, complex people who aren’t very likeable, but are amazingly compelling to follow through a story that spans more than ten years.

What made you want to take on Enron as a project?

I wanted the chance to create something outside the realms of marking criteria. The drama degree has taught me a lot and I have had some really wonderful moments, but creating theatre for a grade has often been stressful and sometimes a little disheartening. I knew this would be the final project I would direct at university and, in all honesty, I just really wanted to go out with a bang.

Enron is huge.

There are almost thirty scenes, all of which need set changes; there are some big ‘wow’ moments that meant I teamed up with Kyle Pryke, who has been a fabulous movement director and choreographer for the piece; there’s a live barber shop quartet which (as I am musically talentless) the wonderful Magda Cassidy agreed to compose for me; there are more than sixty characters being played by a cast of thirteen people and seeing this ambitious project come together at this stage is a joy.

Have you done anything like this in the past?

I’ve been directing theatre since I was thirteen. It sounds really cliché, but I’ve always found there to be something incredible about taking words on a page and working with a group of people to turn them into a living, breathing creation.

It must be a time consuming process, how are you finding keeping up with studies and other commitments?

Third year is really crunch time. It is not the time to start letting things slip and without the support of the creative team, the production team and my absolutely beautiful cast I would have really struggled to stay afloat this year.

Have you enjoyed the project so far?

The project has suffered some rather major blows; one of the cast members injured themselves on a skiing trip and had to pull-out after nine weeks of rehearsal, so it was a little stressful to find replacements late in the day, but overall it has been a really enjoyable experience.

The cast are brilliantly supportive of me, and they go along with all of my slightly strange ideas. It has been a wonderfully collaborative process and I am very grateful for their hard work and all the time spent laughing and messing around.

How are you feeling about opening night?  

Enough work and effort has gone towards making the piece look effortless.

Opening night is always a strange experience as a director; everything’s out of your hands, you just sit with the audience and watch, fully aware that if a single thing goes wrong there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it.

That said, I’m not worried – I’m nervous, but you’re always nervous on opening night – whatever the cast do on opening night I know I’m going to be very proud of them.

What are your future plans for after University?

Good question. I will continue to make theatre, in some sort of capacity, but right now the question is whether or not people will employ me to do so or whether I’ll just have to go out and do it myself.

Enron is being performed on 21st, 23rd, 24th May in the M&D Room. Come along and see EUTCo’s final show of this academic year!

Tickets are available to purchase here: http://www.exeterguild.org/societies/theatrecompany/

If you have any questions regarding the show, booking tickets or to reserve, email Jyothi at: jg402@exeter.ac.uk

Check out the Facebook event for further details: https://www.facebook.com/events/478279832302607/?fref=ts

Georgia is in her third year at Exeter studying English and French Law. Last year she headed the Culture team as Local Culture editor, informing all of our lovely readers about the best events and places to explore in this beautiful city. She may have taken off her cultural clogs, but she is still heavily involved in Her Campus Exeter, leading the team as joint President with Florence Christie this year.When she isn’t slaving away at French law, or updating her Tumblr of pretty pictures stolen from other more committed bloggers, she can be spotted in the Forum sipping a hazlenut laté, whilst feeling guilty for said indulgence and Instagramming pictures of Costa cups. When day turns to night, Monday Arena is generally a favourite haunt or when she is feeling particularly edgy you may find her by the quayside at Cellar Door embracing her inner Cara Delvigne- thougbts of Costa on her mind! Although she never says no to a night in with her girls, watching chick flicks- preferably involving Ed Westwick.At the end of this year,  Georgia will continue to pursue her career as a lawyer, saying goodbye to rainy Britain and Bonjour to très chic France, where she will be completing the final year of her degree. Continuing to follow her mantra of work hard play hard, I wouldn’t be surprised if in in no time this girl could give Legally Blonde Elle Brooks a run for her money.