Calling All Boobs at Exeter University!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

You may have seen us dressed as huge boobs wandering around campus, or else been inundated with Facebook requests to like “Exeter Uni Boob Team”, but what is it all really about? I’m here to tell you that Exeter Uni Boob Team have joined together to convey a very important message to all the students of Exeter University: CHECK YOUR BOOBS.

What is CoppaFeel!?

Exeter Uni Boob Team supports CoopaFeel!, a charity which aims to promote early detection of breast cancer by eradicating taboos and common misconceptions around checking your boobs. CoppaFeel! encourages people to realise that the sooner you start checking, the more comfortable you are with knowing what is normal for you.

CoppaFeel!’s founder, Kris Hallenga, was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer at the age of 23 and continues to fight an ongoing battle against cancer. Kris has devoted her time to ensuring that as many people as possible can hear her message and recognise the common symptoms as early as possible.

This year, the #whatnormalfeelslike campaign aims to promote healthy conversations with women across the UK by reclaiming the vocab that we use for descriptions of breasts. The vast majority of women in the UK check their weight more regularly than checking their boobs for the signs and symptoms of breast cancer. This needs to change.

What are Exeter Uni Boob Team doing this term?

This term, we have a lot of fun and exciting fundraiser events that you can get involved in, with our primary aim being to raise as much awareness as possible.

Here are some key dates to look out for us on campus:

20th – 24th October – Body Soc Classes

To celebrate National Boob Week, Exeter Uni Boob Team are teaming up with Body Soc! Come along to any of the regularly scheduled classes this week and some of the proceeds from every class will go towards CoppaFeel! To find out what classes Body Soc run, check out their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/bodysocexeter/?fref=ts

20th October – Boob Social

This term we will be combining with Body Soc Society for our first social! This will be a great opportunity for anybody and everybody to come along and find out more about Exeter Uni Boob Team & Body Soc! Pre at Old Timers at 8:30pm, followed by a UV Party at Timepiece. (Find the event on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/events/364646490369029/)

23rd October – Bake Sale

Come along to the Forum between 10am-2pm to try some of our yummy boob cakes! Here you will be able to meet the team, find out more about CoppaFeel! and sign up for our free monthly text service (by texting ‘ubtexeter’ to 70500) which reminds you to check your boobs!

Date TBC – Boob Night

Last year Exeter Uni Boob Team ran their first fundraiser night out, “Exeter UBT Does Cheeseys!”, which was a huge success and gave everyone the opportunity to dress up in boob-themed attire and play boob-themed games at Walkabout before heading to Arena. This term our second fundraiser night out will be in the last week of term. The date will be announced nearer the time on our Facebook and Twitter pages. 

How can I get involved?

It couldn’t be more simple to get involved and help to support Exeter Uni Boob Team in their quest to raise awareness around campus, and beyond!

First and foremost: Text “ubtexeter” to 70500 for your free monthly reminder to check your boobs! You will also receive a voucher code for 20% off Boux Avenue. Double win.

Spread the word! Encourage your family and friends to also sign up for their free monthly texts. We want everyone shouting about CoppaFeel! to ensure that as many people can be informed as possible!

Come to our fundraisers. If you see us rambling on about a fundraiser on social media, or happen to walk past us on campus, please stop and say hello! We’d love to chat to you and tempt you with a cake or two!

Stay connected. Like our Facebook page www.facebook.com/ubtexeter and follow us on Twitter @UBTExeter to keep up to date on fundraisers, events and CoppaFeel! news.

Join the team! If you would like to get involved in any aspect of Exeter Uni Boob Team, whether that be coming along to help at fundraisers or helping us organise nights out, we’d love to hear from you. Please email ubtexeter@hotmail.co.uk and our team leader, Saskia Gates, can give you more information.  

To find out more about CoppaFeel! visit www.coppafeel.org

Knowing your boobs could save your life.