Breeze through Freshers with 5 lifestyle tips from Spain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

So, you’ve had some amazing adventures this summer. But the time has come to stash away the sun cream and leave the aviators on the shelf in the hope of some bright autumn days. If it leaves you feeling a little down, you’re not alone. A massive 57% of Brits feel depressed or deflated after coming home from holiday!

What might be surprising is that the worlds of holiday and university aren’t as far apart as we’d like to think. Exploring the city of Valencia on the east coast of Spain this August, I found myself drawn into the Spanish lifestyle. It was thrilling, unexpected at times, laidback and yet sleepless. Sound familiar? I think the Spanish could teach us a thing or two about how to approach freshers’ week…

1. Don’t be deceived by the sleepy atmosphere of campus in the morning

I never ate breakfast in Spain – I was never awake in time! The relaxed Spanish timetable allows a long lie in, a student’s dream come true. But like Exeter’s campus during freshers’ week, Valencia has amazing things on offer in the morning. The main mercat or market selling the city’s best paella was only available before noon. If you’re an early bird, it’s worth checking out Exeter’s hidden gems before the post-lunch rush – take a campus tour, enjoy a Comida wrap without the queue!

2. Oh I do like to be beside the seaside!

Or in Exeter’s case, the Quay! One of the most picturesque spots in the city. Follow the Spanish example I saw in Port sa Platja and have a drink close to the water’s edge or treat yourself to a pizza basket from the Waterfront restaurant.

3. Embrace opportunities for a fiesta…with or without alcohol!

Spanish nightlife is an unstoppable force. Fuelled by sangria or some delish virgin piña coladas, locals and tourists alike talk, dance and eat their way through the night – all night, every night! Freshers is the time to let your hair down a little in cocktail bars like Urban Underground (cocktails in teapots!) or dance to the legendary tunes of Cheesy Tuesdays in Unit 1, a club that rivals Valencia’s hot climate.

4.…but embrace the tradition of the siesta with equal enthusiasm

On a Wednesday afternoon in Exeter, there are two types of people; those who pick up a lacrosse stick or pack a gym bag, and those who nap. The Spanish siesta is such a cultural staple that all the shops close. My advice? Catch up on that lost sleep – you’ll need your energy when everything starts up again at 8pm!

5. Hola, buenas!

Just like the Spanish uphold their tradition of greeting almost everyone they meet, dig deep for some courage and get your voice out there. Looking for a friendly face? Keep a lookout for the Welcome Team in pink tees. I’m not saying introduce yourself to everyone you set eyes on but freshers is the time to strike up conversations – whether you’re a fresher or not!

Freshers week marks the start of something new and wonderful. It is exciting and exhausting but approach it with the chilled attitude and open-mindedness of a Spanish señorita and you won’t go far wrong!