Books that Celebrate the Power of Female Friendship

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Female friendships can be the most important relationships a woman forms in her life. This chosen sisterhood can act as her own personal therapy group, cheerleading squad or band of bodyguards depending on what the situation calls. Through literature, these powerful bonds have been explored in greater depth, incorporating different perspectives and experiences. Authors have highlighted how women have the influential ability to uplift, inspire and challenge each other to strive for more. To honour this, I’ve compiled a list of books that bring female friendships to the forefront of their stories.

Everything I Know About Love by Dolly Alderton

Under the guise of recounting the romantic misadventures of a woman in her 20s, this memoir ultimately champions the relationships women form with other women. The narrator goes through some turbulent years but her circle of female friends are always on hand to offer their compassionate advice and unconditional support. With them by her side, she is able to go on a transformative journey towards self-acceptance.

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

While also being a highly addictive murder mystery, this story is essentially one of female friendship. It predominantly focuses on the complex interwoven relationship between the three core characters but it wonderfully expands their sisterhood to include women who they had previously misjudged or even outwardly disliked. The women’s unwavering protection of each other has an empowering effect, not just on the characters, but the reader as well.

The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes

Set deep within the mountains of Depression-era Kentucky, this novel follows a group of seemingly disparate women. Their lives are brought together by their shared goal of making the knowledge and wonder of books readily accessible. Whenever tragedy strikes (which it more often than not does), they band together without hesitation, proving they can overcome any obstacle with their loyalty to one another.

Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams

When the hilarious yet ill-fated heroine of the novel, Queenie, faces an escalating series of setbacks, her mental health and positive self-view take a hit. However, her endearing group of friends are there to guide her along her path to recovery. Each woman is able to help Queenie in a different way, offering their unique perspective and understanding when a dose of tough love is necessary.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The unlikely yet powerful friendships forged between a group of women with very different backgrounds are at the heart of this poignant story set in the 1960s. Three women bravely embark on a mission to record the true accounts of black housekeepers with the aim to expose the shocking injustices of their reality. Through this experience, the trio finds courage in each other as they build an enduring bond.

A psychology student who loves all things fashion, film and fiction