Book Review: Can we still be friends?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Whilst most of us students don’t (or shouldn’t) have the time to read “fun” books , I managed to squeeze in the time between essays and tutorial work to read Can we still be friends? by Alexandra Shulman (the editor of British Vogue). In fact, most of us have probably wondered this at some point in our time at university: what is going to happen to all the friends we’ve made in our three or four years here? Will we still be friends in 20 years’ time, despite the fact that we’ve all moved on from the bubble that is Exeter and into the “real world”? Or will we sadly, but somewhat inevitably, have drifted away from most of the people we used to live with and see on a regular to daily basis?

Well girls, this book leaves you with a bit of hope! Whilst it would be unrealistic to think that you’re going to keep in regular contact with the majority of friends you’ve made at university, Shulman shows that it is possible for you to keep at least a couple of your closest friends.

I promise this review contains as few spoilers as possible… But here’s a quick summary! 3 female graduates have left university and moved on with their lives – lives which have taken them all in very different directions. Salome, the one with the questionable relationship with both men and alcohol, has turned to journalism, but will her issues cause her to lose her friends? Kendra, the daughter of very chic, liberal parents is looking for her own life, but finds a life she would never expected: will her friends accept this or will they turn their backs? And finally, Annie, the girl who grew up wanting a white picket fence in the garden and a house full of children, will this dream and her husband of choice end up pushing her best friends away? Whilst no one could ever suggest that friendship is easy, these three don’t seem to have had the easiest time of it: in fact, there are some tests of friendship that they’ve faced that I hope I never have to. 

Before I get you thinking that this is a serious piece of literary work, it’s not. It isn’t Charles Dickens-esque and Shulman doesn’t replace Shakespeare as one of the greats, but there is a place for this novel. It’s a light, easy to read novel which explores the tests of friendship. Shulman shows, in a largely light-hearted way, that friendship can survive even the most difficult of tests.

Okay, so I admit, I painted a somewhat dim and depressing picture of friendship post-uni at the start, but this novel serves to show that despite the usual trials and difficulties that moving away from uni, and generally away from your friends, entails, that friendship doesn’t stop the day of graduation. In fact, if these girls can go through what they did (don’t panic – I’m not going to give anything away) and endure the difficulties that life threw at them and still be friends after all of this: I have to admit, I’m hopeful for when I graduate!

This is the perfect relaxing read: a bit of a chick flick, something that relates to most uni students and their fears of graduation, and a novel that you can read in a few days (once you get into this one, trust me, you’re not putting it down until it says “The End”). Whether you might be being good and reading all your journal articles and textbooks or are already looking for your summer reading list, this is a novel that I would highly recommend to all of you.  It might not be the most serious read; in fact, I wouldn’t say it’s the best I’ve ever had, but there is certainly a place for it. A definite beach book or relaxing read, and a bit of a steal at £2.99 if you have a kindle!

Photo credits: www.theupcoming.co.uk, www.guardian.co.uk

Lauren is the President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Exeter, as well as the Manager of UK Expansion and a National Writer for HerCampus.com. While she has worked with Her Campus Exeter it has achieved Pink Chapter Level status and has grown to its current status as one of the most successful chapters internationally. She's determined to grow Her Campus in the UK this year and so is looking foward to working on increasing the number of HC UK chapters and to helping the established chapters improve and develop. This summer she was lucky enough to intern in the Her Campus Head Office in Boston, and had the most amazing time -- any time she can go back, she will! In her spare time Lauren loves to play tennis, catch up with her friends, go for long walks in the Scottish countryside or to watch chick-flicks under her duvet. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @laurenhudson25.