The Best Way to Beat the January Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

‘Tis the season to be…breaking New Year’s resolutions, committing once again to your uni deadlines and applying lip balm every 10 seconds to your chapped smackers. Oh yes, it’s January, the month where some say the blues hit hardest. So, how can traveling help us here? Summer’s months away, if you’re organised then you’ve already booked your Easter ski trip – what else is there? What else could possibly be an option? Enter stage right: the city day trip.

THE PROBLEM:

Our beloved Exeter satisfies a lot of our needs. We’ve got a beautiful campus, some arguably not-that-bad clubs to boogie in, endless dinner date options, Firehouse (it deserves its own category, let’s be honest) and some great spots to indulge in retail therapy. But it can become a teensy bit claustrophobic. You can’t go anywhere without seeing people you know and it’s easy to be bored by the surroundings you see every day.

THE SOLUTION:

Bath, everyone. BATH. Hop on a train from St David’s and within two hours you are far away from the Exeter bubble, free to explore a city without people popping up and saying: ‘Oh my gosh BABE was it you I saw being carried out of TP eating cheesy chips last night??!’. Exploring a new place in your free time is refreshing, gives you a sense of having done something with your day and always makes you appreciate home more. My top 3 things to do in Bath? I thought you’d never ask…

The Bridge Coffee Shop (15-17 Pulteney Bridge, BA2 4AY)

Possibly the most Instagrammable coffee shop ever. Situated on Pulteney Bridge over – yes, actually OVER – the River Avon, grabbing a window seat is a must as the views are uh-may-zing. Within view is Pulteney Weir where they filmed Javert’s death scene in the 2012 film Les Misérables if anyone’s interested. The café is in the city centre, close to the shops and rugby stadium and serves incredible brunches and cakes.

Roman Baths (Stall Street, BA1 1LZ)

Forgive me, I know it’s obvious but it’s still a must-see. Visit the place that gave the city its name, where the Romans partied old school style and where hot water still bubbles out of the ground to this day. Snap some amazing photos of the Abbey from here and whatever you do, don’t fall in.

Green Park Station (Green Park Road, BA1 1JB)

This hidden gem is a former rail station with plenty for an architecture enthusiast to admire. If that isn’t your thing, it houses independent restaurants, shops and a market on Saturdays from 9am. It has a great atmosphere with live music, food and has a massive emphasis on ethical trading. The station is off the beaten track and is all indoors – the perfect place to hide away during the cold January days!

Emma is a sophomore at American University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Political Science and Women's Studies. She loves to write, journal, and blog in her free time. Emma is a Communications Intern at the Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE), a non-profit in DC. She is a social media editor for Her Campus American.