The Benefits of Manuka Honey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Her Campus brings you the need-to-know on the health supplement being coined “liquid gold”. The health benefits of honey have been known for thousands of years however, the discovery of this particular type of honey has transformed the healing qualities of honey. Manuka honey comes from bees and hives in a remote part of New Zealand and its special antibacterial properties are thought to help combat various ailments from skin problems to allergies.

What makes Manuka honey so much different from other standard honey is a mystery ingredient. This ingredient has taken more than twenty years of research to pin down and to this day scientists still remain unsure as to what it actually is. It has now been given the name, unique manuka factor, or UMF.

Health Benefits:

·      Digestion

Manuka honey can help relieve bloating and the uncomfortable feeling that comes with it. It can also aid a variety of digestive health issues such as acid reflux, indigestion, stomach ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome. Try stirring a teaspoon into a cup of tea to experience its soothing effects.

·      Colds and Flu

With its high antibacterial levels, manuka honey makes for the perfect cold survival kit. Getting some manuka honey in to your system can help to prevent a cold taking its grip. These properties make it an effective way to treat ulcers, tonsillitis, cold sores, skin infection, cuts and abrasions.

·      Acne, Eczema and Other Skin Ailments

When applied directly, Manuka honey provides excellent treatment for skin conditions such as these as well as for bites, burns and small wounds. It can also help reduce scarring and healing time which makes it a particularly effective for reducing the scarring affects of acne. Acne and rosacea sufferers could use Manuka honey as a skin cleanser as its anti-inflammatory qualities help skin conditions without removing an natural oils from your skin.

·      Energy

Due to the fact that it is made up of carbohydrates such as fructose and glucose, manuka honey is a great way to get a short-term energy boost. However, manuka honey isn’t a substitute for carbohydrates in your diet but it’s a great pick-me-up when you’re feeling particularly low. 

There you have it, all the information you need about Manuka Honey. If you’re thinking of putting this honey to the test why not try having a spoonful every morning and look on as it works its magical healing properties on your body.

Photo Credits: www.pinterest.com