Baguettes & Bureaucracy: An Introduction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

I’m writing this sat in my apartment after just having eaten a slice of galette des rois (France’s festive pastry, basically the cultural equivalent to our mince pie) and having bought a black blazer (oh so French) in the sales. As you can see, I’m trying my best to Francophile myself!

I am on my year abroad in Nice, France. It was my first choice due to having spent numerous holidays on the Cote d’Azur (I consequently found out that living here and being on holiday here are VERY different) and you do not know how ecstatic I was when I found out that I would not be cold and damp and wet this winter. My second year ‘crack den’ student house, as it was fondly known, made me adamant I was not surviving another winter of damp books and the ability to see your own breath in your room. Nice is a brilliant city, the glorious Mediterranean Sea in one direction and the ski resorts of the Alps in the other. I LOVE living here, and in my column I will be showing you how to get the most out of your year abroad!

I am working in a college teaching English to 16-23 year olds 12 hours a week. I chose to work as a British Council language assistant because A. I thought it would be a breeze; B. You are guaranteed a pretty good wage. C. There is little university work involved.
Now, I take back all those things my naive self once said.
Teaching can be difficult, especially if you are trying to teach English to those who are not interested in learning it. I cannot complain however, my hours seem to shrink every few weeks. I have learned to take this opportunity to make the most of being in the area.
Furthermore, the Cote d’Azur is famously known for its glamorous reputation, with Cannes and Monaco a mere 20 minute train ride away. This doesn’t come without a price, quite literally. Being an Exeter student, I was prepared for well above average accommodation prices, but it can leave you with a painfully low bank balance. Due to having a ‘proper’ job, I spent last term partially forgetting that I was a student with not much money, and spent far too much on meals out and cocktails!

And finally, I leave you with a few useful things I have learnt on my year abroad so far:
1. You cannot buy dry shampoo here. Apparently Europe seems to like greasier hair. I stocked up in the Superdrug in Bristol airport on my last visit home…
2. Nation-wide acceptable lunch breaks of 3 hours are great.
3. If you wear floral prints in October (even in 25 degrees) you will be given a look of horror and asked if you are cold by numerous French children clad in black jeans and puffa jackets. This goes for pretty much any southern European country.
4. A casual glass of wine at any time of the day is perfectly acceptable; although milk in your tea is not.
5. The best way to improve your language skills is by getting a boyfriend – so my friends in Nice have told me! You should (most of the time…) spend hours chatting in your new country’s language and voilà, with the practiced accent, you should be feeling pretty confident to conquer fourth year, when some actual hefty work will be required of you.

Photo credits: – http://eatdrinkandbmry.tumblr.com/, http://worldwidedestinations.tumblr.com/, http://hellobadbitches.tumblr….