Food Network Kitchen

An Autumnal Classic: Pear Crumble

The perfect dish for a cold and wet autumn day, pear crumble. I like to use pears, but you could use any tinned fruit like peaches or apricots which also taste amazing in a crumble. There is also the other option of making a delicious fruit mix yourself like apple and blackberry with cinnamon but this requires some cooking before placing the crumble in the oven… and sometimes you just want quick comfort food!

Ingredients

2 x tins of pears (or any other tinned fruit you like)

100g softened unsalted butter

3 tbsp plain flour

3 tbsp demerara sugar

3 tbsp rolled porridge oats

Double cream or Ice Cream to serve

MEthod

1. Preheat the oven to 200c. Drain your tinned fruit and place into your baking dish, making sure they are not overlapping too much
  2. Rub the butter and plain flour between your fingers, like if you were making pastry. It doesn’t have to all be mixed in, but as much as possible is best. When you think all butter has been broken up and the flour is all coated in butter, add in the sugar and oats. Mix in as you were just doing for a few minutes more until everything is combined.
  3. Pour the crumble mix on top of the drained fruit, making sure it covers all of the fruit in an even way. Place into the oven for 20 ish minutes, or until the topping starts to turn golden. If you’re feeling fancy, serve with double cream or ice cream. Enjoy!

Sophie is in her final year as an undergraduate at the University of Exeter, studying Art History and Classical Studies. She is also the President and Campus Correspondent for the Exeter Chapter of Her Campus. Sophie would love to work in the media when she graduates because of her love for readings and editing... in fact as you read this she is probably wishing that she was lying by a pool with a good book and an iced coffee!