This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

“From the intrigue of the Imperial Court, to beautiful simplicity of notes picked on a piano, Amadeus allows us to discover the divine in the everyday.”

With EUTCo’s upcoming production about to hit the big stage of the Northcott Theatre on Exeter Uni Campus, everyone seems to have Amadeus on the brain, so HCX decided to go behind the scenes. Literally translating from Latin as ‘love of god’, Amadeus displays the heavenly talent of composer Mozart and the tribulations he encounters at the start of his career. As a member of the costume team, I have been lucky enough to watch the production develop, from those initial rehearsals where lines were unknown, stage directions undecided and the shell of the production yet to be formed, until now when dress rehearsals are happening, final adjustments being made and show week is looming overhead.

So firstly, what can you expect from a EUTCo (Exeter University Theatre Company) production? As the largest and longest running theatre company on campus the wealth of talent on display ranges from acting and producing to technical and lighting. The aim of the society is to “explore your theatrical interests fully, be they technical, directorial, artistic, performative or anything else.” No longer confined to the M&D in which space and resources are limited, they hold one production a year in the Northcott Theatre which allows their gift to be received by a much larger audience; both within the University but also the county. Expect a performance on par with professional companies, in which divine live singing and music complement the impeccable acting.

Then also what can you expect from Amadeus as a play? In this production, the 22-strong ensemble cast transport the audience from the rainy South West to the vibrant courts of 18th century Vienna. Expect as much extravagance as can be afforded on a society’s budget, with female characters being petticoated, full-skirted and coiffured and their male counterparts donning dashing tights, traditional breeches and elaborately brocaded jackets (even wigs thrown in for good measure!). The play is emotionally charged with the classic trio of love, laughter and loss; be prepared to loathe malicious Salieri, be enamoured by the charming Costanze and admire yet pity the talent and life of Mozart.

With the play promising to be a huge success, HCX recommends to book your tickets now via the Northcott Theatre’s website, and support the talent within our university!

Photo credits – http://www.apotpourriofvestige…