8 Benefits of Running

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It is no secret that running regularly can have many positive effects on your body: weight loss, fitness, toning just to name a few! If this isn’t enough motivation to get your trainers on, here’s eight benefits of running you might not be aware of.

1. Improves Mood

No matter how down you might be feeling, getting up and jogging is a great solution! There is of course the short-run rush of endorphins, but it does go beyond the ‘runner’s high’, researchers have found that even a small amount of exercise could instantly lift the mood of someone suffering from a major depressive order., concluding that physical activity is an effective alternative to treating depression. Even when it’s a challenge to get yourself out the door, a morning run is the perfect way to turn your day around.

2. Good for the Mind and Soul

Running burns more than just calories, it’s also an effective stress burner! Running outside allows you to focus on your breathing and appreciate the scenery around you. Running is like a release button to the stress that builds up in your body. It’s a perfect way to feel free from the trials of everyday life, and no thoughts can hinder this feeling of freedom. 

3. Makes you more Productive

Running sharpens the mind, making you more alert and aware. Exercising can give you more energy throughout the day, increasing productivity and making you happier!

4. Better Sleep

Exercising during the day can improve your quality of sleep, people who exercise regularly claim they fall asleep faster, have deeper sleep, wake up less often, and feel less tired during the day. However, it is recommended that you exercise more than four hours before bedtime for maximum sleep quality.

5. Prevents colds

Studies have shown that exercise boosts your immune system, significantly cutting your risk of the common cold. In addition, the severity of symptoms has been proved to be lower for those who exercise regularly.

6. Anti-ageing effects

Running awakens the brain and slows down degeneration of the central nervous system. It is this deterioration that leads to slower reaction times and poorer coordination, so being an active runner can combat this.

7. Better sex life

It makes sense that the fitter you are, the better your sex life is. Being fit improves sexual functioning, and psychologically you feel better about yourself, more confident, and therefore more inclined towards sex. The brain may be the most important sexual organ because those that are anxious and stressed are usually unable to enjoy a healthy sex life. Running, improving your fitness and your mental wellbeing, can improve your sex life to no end.

8. Fun

We can’t forget the most important benefit: fun! Running is an enjoyable activity, and, if you run as part of a club or with a buddy, it’s also a great opportunity for socialising.

And there we have it. Strap on those trainers, enjoy the fresh air, and see if you can experience all these benefits and more!

Photo Credits: www.pinterest.com