7 Reasons Casual Sex Is Really Great

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Since the start of time, girls have been told that having casual sex is bad. Remember what happened to Eve when she ate that forbidden fruit? God gave her period pain (Cheers, Eve).

Even now, in a post-Sex and the City society, having random hot sex with strangers is still frowned upon. Girls will gossip about these sexually liberated women at parties, whispering that it’s “so sad” and that they “should have a bit of class.”

At HCX, we don’t believe in slut-shaming. In fact, we think there are many benefits to having casual sex with strangers…

1. Sex is fun.

You’re getting with a hot rugby lad on Top Top and you start to feel tingly down there. Whilst your more judgemental friends urge you to get his number and go home (in the manner of Pride and Prejudice) you know that thinking with your vagina is totally fine. So take him back to yours and make the most of those 20 free condoms from the Walk-In Centre.

2. It makes a good story.

Is it awkward that you fell off the bed whilst having sex with the cutie from your Spanish seminar? Yes, yes it is. But it makes a funny story for your housemates. Plus, it will spice up Spanish class so #NoProblemo.

3. You can be kinky AF.

One of the best things about casual sex is that you can do all sorts of crazy stuff in bed…and then never see them again. For one night only, you can have your own Christian Grey (only without the unhealthy co-dependent relationship…)  

4. You can share sexual wisdom.

As a bona-fide (or, should we say, ‘boner-fide’) Sexpert, you can impart sexual wisdom onto the male species. Give your ONS a tutorial of the female body, teach him that the G-Spot is not an urban myth…His future partners will be forever in your debt.

5. The ‘Walk of Shame’.

It can be hard to keep your head up high when you’re walking home at 8am in a playboy bunny outfit, the morning after a TP social. But the beauty of the Walk of Shame is that you won’t be doing it alone. If you look around, there will be loads of others hurrying home to have a shower. It’s like a community.

6. It is empowering.

If any of your friends judge you for being ‘slutty’ or ‘letting yourself go’, then sweetly remind them it’s the 21st Century. We can do whatever the hell we want.

7. This is what our twenties are for.

In years to come, when we are old and grey, we will look back fondly at the fun times we had at uni. You’re only young once, so make the most of the years when you’re flexible enough to try out Karma Sutra positions with strangers.

Obviously, sleeping around isn’t for everyone. And we know there can be downsides – namely, one-too-many embarrassing trips to the Walk-In Centre. But if you’re having fun and being safe, then who cares? You do you, girl (and whoever else while you’re at it!)

I am the new President of Her Campus Exeter. Last year I was a very enthusiastic Sex & Relationships editor, and I hope to be a magazine journalist. I'm slightly addicted to Diet Coke, and running to the fridge is my idea of exercise.