6 Important Things to Do in Your Twenties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Life can be so hectic at times. With stressful deadlines, personal worries, and social media claiming much of our attention it can be easy to forget to do some of the simple, but important, things. So this article serves as a kind of check-list for all of the important little things us forgetful young women need to remember!

1. Remember to leave time for yourself.

This sounds obvious, but as we rush from one moment/panic to the next we can forget to have some time for ourselves. A lot can be said for spending time alone every once in a while, as you can recharge your batteries, reflect about recent events, and enjoy doing things that you love. As Anne Lamott says: “almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.” So scheduling an hour or two here and there just for yourself can do a world of good!

2.  Remember to seize the day.

Whilst we hear this maxim almost every day, do we actually follow it? ‘This isn’t the right time’, ‘something bad might happen’, ‘I’ll do it later’. These are the familiar thoughts that pop up suddenly when we are faced with something that we can’t control or predict. While it’s important to acknowledge these thoughts, it’s crucial to remember that life is what happens while we are making other plans. We have to seize the day! So we should tell that person that we love them, fulfil our wanderlust, and embrace chance. What have we got to lose?

3. Remember to travel.

We travel to places every day, and we’ve travelled to places around the world, but here at HCX we think travelling in your twenties can be especially brilliant! We have the time to travel spontaneously and a great ability to do things on a shoe-string budget. It sounds cliché, but seeing different cultures really can make us richer in so many ways. We not only learn more about ourselves, but we also see how things are rather than how they appear. So getting lost from one little side street to the next is the best thing we can do.

4. Remember to turn off technology.

There’s no denying that technology is a massive part of daily life, but it shouldn’t rule our lives. It’s so easy for it to happen, and when it does we risk missing things that are right in front of us. So instead of focusing on taking loads of pics when we are out and about (and finding that perfect Instagram filter) we should look at all the wonderful things around us and really take everything in.

5. Remember to let go.

It’s very easy to hold on to anger, worries, toxic relationships etc., and very hard to let them go. At HCX we love the saying that: “if you worry, you die. If you don’t worry, you still die.” Whilst this might be a little shocking, it’s so true! Worrying is not going to solve the issues, it only drains you of energy and sleep, and leaves the bitter aftertaste of regret. If you’re holding on to something causing anger/upset, let it go. Deborah Reber says it best: “letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realising that the only person you really have control over is yourself.”

6. Remember to love yourself, and others.

Although this point is a cliché one, it is, without doubt, the most important one to remember. In our twenties we feel more adult and reassured, but we also can feel riddled with self-doubt and have low self-esteem. So rather than critiquing ourselves further for not being how we think we ought to be, we should try to embrace ourselves as we are, flaws and all. We should remember to embrace life’s ups and downs, keep telling our loved ones that we love them, and tell ourselves the same too.