burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Most Creative Catwalks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

When the catwalk comes to mind we think of a plain narrow white strip in which models walk along to display the designer’s latest collection. Yet as fashion has evolved, so has the use and presentation of the catwalk.

The catwalk was invented in the 1800s, originally known as a “fashion parade”. The parade would have commonly taken place in Paris couture salons as a way of presenting the designer’s creation to the paying customer. The parades then branched out into larger department stores where famous Parisian couture designers would showcase their designs to the store owner, as well as their richer clients. Moving into the early 20th century, fashion shows became increasingly popular. Designers began to theatricalise their shows, adding music and narrative to describe their creations; to an often exclusive audience. Towards the end of the century shows became more extravagant and were available to a wider audience. Designer’s pushed the boundaries when presenting their creations, choosing unheard of locations and unorthodox backdrops to set the scene for their shows.

Today, the catwalk is an essential part in showcasing a designer’s collection. It forms the foundation of the show and can reflect the theme and style the designer is trying to portray, before the collection itself is revealed. The catwalk is as important to the model as the stage is to the actor; the models can become live works of art and can transport the audience’s imagination, as if in the theatre. With this in mind, here are a few examples of the most original catwalks from the past decade.

Brand: Chanel

Date: Spring/Summer 2013

“Energy is the most important thing in life” commented Karl Lagerfeld on the energy inspired fashion show held in the Grand Palais. The catwalk consisted of 13 wind turbines and solar panels for the floor which contrasted amazingly with the glass and iron architecture of the building. The scale of the white giants compared to the tiny models created an amazing effect, emphasising the intricacy of the clothing.

Brand: Chanel

Date: Autumn/Winter 2010

Global warming is brought to mind when looking at the world’s coolest show. Ice and snow imported from Sweden were used to create this impressive ice-berg stage.  The cool tones harmonised perfectly with the monochrome collection.

[pagebreak]

Brand: Fendi

Date: Autumn/Winter 2007

This certainly has to be one of the longest catwalks ever produced, admittedly the models didn’t walk the whole 13,170 miles of the Great Wall of China, but it still produced a very impressive show. What could be a more beautiful setting than the mountainous night sky illuminated with thousands of spotlights?

Brand: Ted Baker

Date: Spring/Summer 2012

At the opening of the 24-storey Revere Hotel in Boston, the traditional catwalk was taken to new heights. Models, strapped to harnesses, were launched off the side of the hotel presenting Ted Baker’s latest collection while walking vertically to the ground. This certainly added a new dimension to the way we see models on the runway.

Brand: Louis Vuitton

Date: Spring/Summer 2013

Who said the models had to walk down the catwalk? Four escalators, decorated with yellow and white vertical stripes, were used to carry pairs of models down the moving catwalk onto the waxed checkerboard. The consistent movement created a visual masterpiece and represented the cyclic nature of fashion, as the models supported sixties style hair and clothing. 

Photo Credits; weheartit.com, peopleinside.fr, burningstages.files.wordpress.com, guestofaguest.com, dogonews.com, beautydelux.com

Charlotte is a third year Maths and English student who is President for HCX. She loves reading about the history of major designers and browsing through their latest collections and enjoys running, ice skating and partying! She is also interested in making and designing clothes as well as buying them and has taken several courses in pattern design for Womenswear. A few years ago she ran her own small business making and selling shorts and lounge pants which she hopes to restart soon.  She loves visiting new places and would love to travel to France to improve her French and learn more about the culture and fashion. She thoroughly enjoyed being Deputy Editor for the Fashion and Beauty team in her second year so is very excited to be part of the inspirational HCX team for a third year.