5 Exercises You Can Do Without the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Didn’t want to splash out on a membership at the new Russell Seal Gym this year? There are still plenty of exercises you can do for free!

Running: All you need is a pair of trainers and a sports bra and you’re set to go! Running couldn’t be easier; there’s no special skills or tricks to master, yet it burns a huge amount of calories and gets your heart pumping faster than most other exercises do! Running is also a great way to get rid of those mid-term blues and deadline stresses; it’s even used by mental health experts to help treat clinical depression! Exeter is full of different running routes, whether you want to do some hill sprints up cardiac hill, or a gentle jog by the quay.

Swimming: Swimming is ideal if you want to be active and stay healthy because it is a great form of all-round exercise. Swimming a couple of times a week could reduce the risk of chronic illnesses and will also boost your mood and help keep your weight under control. The University of Exeter has two swimming pools; one open all year round on St Lukes Campus, and an outdoor pool on Streatham Campus which is open in the Summer. The St Lukes pool is open to both members and non-members and only costs £3.35 per session for non-members! To get in a full workout why not run or walk to St Lukes Campus too!

Intramural Sport: There is a huge variety of intramural sports opportunities at Uni…Why not form your own sports team with a society or group of your friends! Joining a sports team is a great way to make new friends whilst keeping fit and healthy and can also be a lot of fun too.

Dancing:  If you love dancing, whether you’re a beginner or an experienced dancer, joining a dance society might be the perfect exercise solution for you! Dance Soc runs weekly dance classes in ballet, tap, jazz, contemporary, street, hip-hop, limbering and Irish dancing. You can also have the opportunity to audition for University events and the inter-university competitions squad and performance squad. Dance is a fun way to get your heart pumping and can burn just as many calories as going to the gym!

Cycling: You don’t just have to be stuck in the gym on a bike staring at a boring screen for half an hour to get in a good workout! Why not hire a bike or bring your own bike to Exeter and try out some of the many cycle routes around the city. Cycling outdoors is a great form of exercise as you can cycle on a variety of different terrains, working different muscles, whilst getting some fresh air!

Photo Credits: www.pinterest.com

Charlotte is a Psychology student just finishing her fresher year and is also the deputy editor of health and fitness for Her Campus Exeter. She loves lunching and going out with her friends, and if it's a Monday or a Thursday you'll always find her in mosaic! In her spare time she loves keeping fit in the gym or running by the quay on a sunny day.