22 Year-Old Grows Beard: “I want other women to find the strength that I have”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Harnaam Kaur was only 11 years old when a beard started to appear on her face. Diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome, she spent her teenage years being victim of cruel taunts and bullying. She would wax twice a week, as well as bleaching and shaving, trying desperately to remove it. Refusing to leave her house for anything other than lessons, Harnaam at her lowest point began to self-harm, considered taking her own life, and has even received death threats over the internet.

However, at the age of 16, she found the strength to accept herself after being baptised into the Sikh faith, where it’s forbidden to cut body hair – and says she has never looked back.

In an interview with This Morning, Miss Kaur said “I would never ever go back now and remove my facial hair because it’s the way God made me and I’m happy with the way I am.” By loving herself for who she is, she says she feels and looks more sexy and feminine than ever before.

Miss Kaur said that there was some opposition from her family with her decision. “My mum and dad didn’t want me to do it – they didn’t think I’d be able to have a normal life if I had a beard. They worried I wouldn’t be able to get married and that I’d never get a job. But I wanted to make my own decisions and live for myself – not anyone else. I’d had enough of hiding.”

Bravely sharing her story on YouTube, Harnaam is determined to share her experience with the world, helping other women find their self-confidence, and feel comfortable in their own skin.

“If I had any message it would be to live the way you want – it’s your journey and it’s your life.”

Photo credits: buzzfeed