andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

11 Things I Wish I Knew as an Exeter Fresher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Your summer tan is still fresh, the Ikea trip is done and you’ve done the obligatory “goodbye” to the parents. What now? Your fresher’s will be filled with fun but here are some tips to give you a heads up of what to expect (HCX tried and tested)!

1.Heels are a no-go.

It’s as difficult to spot heels on a night out in Exeter as it is to find a fresher in the library. This may come as a shock to some and a blessing to others, but thanks to Exeter’s cobbled streets and slopes, it’s just not a heeled-foot-friendly-zone. I felt like I was without my pair of best friends the first time I ventured out without them. The sooner you come to terms with this major wardrobe readjustment, the easier nights out will be. As a general rule, save your stilettos for formals.

2. Money really does matter. 

You may be tempted to splash out on a new autumn/winter wardrobe at the start of first term, buy rounds of drinks for all your new friends and get accustomed to lunching out: but your student loan is not an endless pot of money. By second term you’ll be cursing that gorgeous coat that you can no longer wear (because thankfully Exeter is one place that does get sunny) whilst scraping the funds together to buy a tin of baked beans.

3. Long distance relationships can work.

All it takes is a good amount of trust, some regular communication and a sprinkle of romance. Plenty of people spend fresher’s week worrying about the state of their relationship, try not to – it gets easier after the first few days. If he’s worth it you’ll work things out. Obviously, long distance isn’t to everyone’s taste but it has potential to enhance your time at uni: you’ll have plenty of time for your friends and your course without “relationship-time” getting in the way. Also, you can look forward to the moments you can spend together and make sure that it’s extra special when you do.

4. First year DOES count. 

You’ll find the phrase ‘it’s-okay-because-first-year-doesn’t-count’ will echo throughout first year. It will pop up when you’re debating to go out the night before your exam and when brunch with the girls is more tempting than your morning lectures. Obviously, first year is all about making the most of the unique opportunities that uni-life provides, including those spontaneous nights out. Missing the odd lecture won’t hurt but remember your first year will lay down the foundations for mastering your degree – not to mention the fact that impressive results could help you snatch up that summer internship. So stock up on those beroccas and work-hard-play-hard to get the best of both worlds.

5. Fresher’s Flu is going to happen.

Had I been aware of fresher’s flu coming my way I would have listened to my body more, and dosed up on vitamin C and a little more sleep. Going out night-after-night (and coping with back-to-back hangovers) will eventually catch up on you. Fresher’s will make you feel like you’re invincible but don’t congratulate yourself too much if you’ve made it into the second week flu-free: it’s bound to strike you down when you least expect it! Oh yes, and best not to call home as your Mum may well turn up with a hot-water bottle and a hefty supply of chicken soup.

6. Different is good.

Fresher’s week can be one of the most exciting times of your life but also one of the most terrifying. It’s super important to smile at everyone and reserve judgements. Just because you didn’t have a “gap-yah” or “find yourself” in India doesn’t mean you won’t share interests with those who did. Although my neighbour was into different music to me (I could hear it thumping through the walls) and was completely different to my home-friends, she ended up becoming one of my closest friends.

7. But there’s no need to force friendships

You’re bound to meet some really special people at university, friends that might be throwing confetti at your wedding in the future, and there to hold your hair back as you realise 21 birthday shots aren’t such a good idea. But that doesn’t mean you have to be pals with everyone you meet. Ofcourse, it’s a good idea to always be open and friendly but you’re allowed to drift away from friendship groups. It may take you a little while to suss out the group of people you gel with best and that’s okay. We all have those fresher-best-friends from those very first days but alot of the time you won’t stick with the first people you meet. Your time at university is exactly that: yours. You want to make sure you’ll be spending that time with people who make you feel good.

8. Get ready to play dress up.

If only I had known that fresher’s is one of the only times of your life you can dress up as a geek and still fit in. By the end of the year you’re likely to have a brand new wardrobe consisting of wigs, firefighter equipment, and even a school uniform.

9. “What, Exeter has a Cathedral?”

Yes, Exeter has more to offer than Timepeice. When you’re staying in halls it feels like campus is the centre of everything but cabin fever will approach all in good time. Discovering you can purchase things in the supermarket for half the price on campus is just one of the many reasons to explore Exeter. Don’t miss the tucked-away Cathedral green as a sunny spot for coffee and lazing around in the sunshine, a HCX favourite. Beautiful beaches and Dartmoor are just a short train ride away too.

10. Say goodbye to your favourite jeans if…

Your regular companion for the walk home after TP is a scooby snack. Then once home you reward yourself with a Domino’s pizza and your one-and-only-hangover-cure is a fry up the following morning. Enough said.

11. You can’t do everything!

There are so many different societies and clubs to get involved in with all that free time but remember that less really is more: picking a small selection of things you can make the most of will be better than spreading yourself too thinly. Have a good think about what you want to immerse yourself in, whether its surfing, entrepreneurism, debating, acting or journalism. Unless you’re a serious athlete, take everything into consideration when choosing a sport. Will you be training on campus or off campus? Are socials an important factor? Whatever you decide make sure that it blends with your interests and expectations.

P.S don’t forget to check out the HCX stall at the Fresher’s Squash…

Photo Credit: www.weheartit.com

Laura Greenfield is a third year English Literature student at Exeter University, and was appointed Deputy Director of Marketing and Events in May 2013. Along with event planning and marketing, Laura also loves to write. Laura has had work experience within journalism, including ITN News London and the Eastern Daily Press. In the summer of 2013 she worked with Content Consultants, within the marketing and editing departments and also within the corporate communications sector of AB Sugar. Laura loves to travel and enjoys the adventure of finding destinations off the beaten track. When she hasn't got her head in a book, you can often find her discovering the latest 'little secret' restaurant in Exeter or experimenting in the kitchen creating tasty concoctions! Her perfect day would be laying in the sun (preferably by a beautiful beach) with a good book, good friends, and an unlimited supply of frozen yoghurt.