This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Ah January – the month of self-improvement and new beginnings. The bombardment of ‘helpful’ suggestions about losing weight and ‘getting your body back’ can be baffling – for, as we all know, in December we all lose our physical bodies and temporarily live as ethereal puffs of air for a month. Such targets are often a thinly veiled attack on those not living up to supermodel standards.

It’s easy to lose faith in the whole idea of resolutions. However the idea of improvement and goal-setting in itself isn’t inherently a bad idea. There are loads of small changes you can make to your daily habits this year that can actually improve you – not just your appearance. Quitting smoking, calling your grandparents more and, of course, reading more can all have a big effect on your life.

There are huge benefits to reading more: it can increase your vocabulary and improve your memory, and it can even make you a better writer! You can also keep track of the books you’ve read by using sites like Goodreads to set reading challenges for the year. Sound good? Here are some tips on how to make 2017 your best reading year yet!

1. Carry a book with you EVERYWHERE.

Get used to treating your current book like a petulant toddler that you can’t leave at home because it will set fire to something. Take books on the train, into university with you, when you have appointments; everywhere means everywhere. You will always have something to do if you find yourself early or waiting around for something. If you don’t fancy the idea of lugging around heavy books everywhere and prefer to travel lighter, you could also try e-books. That way you could simply load them up on a phone or tablet to read. This admittedly does sound obvious, but even reading ten pages here and there can really add up, plus it’s a far more productive use of your time than standing around waiting for a bus!

Which leads me on to….

2. Make use of ‘dead’ time.

Ever find that you’re slouched on the sofa of an evening mindlessly staring at a programme you don’t even like? Or tediously scrolling through Instagram posts that you’ve already seen three times already? You’re not alone. By becoming aware of this ‘dead’ time (when you’re not doing anything you’re actively engaged or interested in) you can learn to substitute monotonous, habitual activities for more productive ones. Even if you just flick between reading a chapter of a book and watching the telly for a bit, you’re still reading more than you would have done otherwise.

Next time you’re having a night in try becoming aware of what you’re actually doing: are you actually enjoying it? Is this the best use of your time? Would you actually be having more fun if you grabbed a paperback from that precarious stack that’s growing on your desk?

3. Try audiobooks. 

Ok, so this isn’t technically reading but it is listening whilst someone else reads, which is almost the same thing. If physically reading a book isn’t your thing, then audiobooks can still count. They can be great for having on in the background or listening to when you need to de-stress – listening to them when you’re just drifting off to sleep can be so soothing. The best bit? Loads of the audiobooks recorded for classic novels are free, so you can listen peacefully in the knowledge that your bank account isn’t weeping softly.

4. Get recommendations!

We’ve all been there. We’ve been duped by a gorgeous book cover and dreamily handed over the money for it whilst staring distractedly at the beautiful gold-leaf design…only to find out that future you will give up after the first few pages because it isn’t actually that interesting. One of the best ways to make reading more of a habit is to find books you actually like. That sounds almost insultingly obvious, but it’s something we all get wrong from time to time. Forcing yourself to slog through 300 pages of nonsensical drivel that you can’t stand is only going to make your relationship with reading a rocky one.

The solution? Take time to find books you know you will actually love. Ask your friends or bookshop employees for recommendations. Use sites like Goodreads to discover new titles based on ones you’ve already loved. Keep an eye out on the social media accounts of authors you like so you know if and when they release something else. Read the first few pages when you’re stood in the bookshop when you’re trying to decide. If you find yourself thinking of reading your new book like a chore or a job, then don’t be afraid call it quits.

There’s nothing wrong with falling in love with a gorgeous book cover, just be sure the words on the pages are amazing too before you buy it! Happy reading! 

Libby Foot

Exeter Cornwall