The Top 10 Christmas Moments Everyone Can Relate To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Okay, so maybe not everybody can relate to being surrounded by Mariah-Carey-esque Santa dancers this festive season. If you are, clearly you belong among the ranks of swoon-worthy movie stars, the likes of which we haven’t seen since ‘Love Actually’. But, whether or not you have the kind of charm to reel in the only one you want for christmas (mistletoe and eggnog anybody?) there are certain parts of the holiday that everyone can relate to! 

1. Travelling Home for Christmas

Wherever you are, snow or no snow, there’s no feeling quite like travelling home for Christmas. Whether by plane, train, or car, the hours don’t matter as long as you get to see those smiling faces. A lot of our collegiates have quite a way to travel, from all across the country, but they can all agree that the journey is worth it!

2. Festive Decorations

It’s hard not to feel in the christmas spirit, when you start to decorate a tree with tinsel. Christmas traditions mean everyone might decorate it differently, but nothing beats watching those lights brighten up the room. And really, who knew there could be so many colours of christmas lights? Reds, greens, purples… For all you perfectionists out there, try to remember that a tree doesn’t have to pristine, it’s the fun of putting it together that counts!

3. Home Cooked Food

Every collegiate knows that one of the best aspects of returning home from university, no matter the season, is the prospect of a good home cooked meal! However, during Christmas, with the influx of christmas cookies, muffins, turkeys bigger than belief and any other holiday treats, it’s even sweeter. Plus there are tonnes of sweaters to help hide those food babies, so enjoy!

4. Christmas Movies

What’s that? You’re trapped alone in the house… without parental supervision? Well, of course, you should construct an obstacle course of everyday objects to warn away any potential burglars. Unleash a tarantula? No problem. Cause untold structural damage to your house? Sounds good. I am of course not recommending any of these things, but if you’re in the mood for a little magic and mayhem this christmas period, you’d do well to consider ‘Home Alone’ as a means of finding festive fun outside of watching people slip and slide in the snow. Or rain…

5. A White Christmas?

Well, it is England and sadly we haven’t had very much snow here in the past few years. But it’s never give up hope! Most collegiates can remember what snow looks like… If not, rain is pretty close to snow… One thing you might be able to relate to – paper snowflakes, always a handy solution for when the weather doesn’t quite give you the white christmas you were hoping for!

6. Mistletoe

We’ve all been there. Watching doorways with hawk-like wariness, scouting for that hint of green and red, hoping to avoid the obligatory peck from some party-goer, already off their face from copious amounts of egg nog. Of course, if you, like Mariah Carey, have your eye on that someone special at christmas, there’s no better way than mistletoe to get that cheeky kiss. After all, it’s a tradition, right? Just be sure they actually want to kiss you – don’t make Andy Bernard give you a festive themed reminder..

7. Your Favourite Christmas Carol

From Queen’s ‘Thank God It’s Christmas’, to ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’, every collegiate has a song that’s particularly close to their heart. Can’t decide which one is your favourite? A handy trick for deciding is to see which songs have duets. If you try to not only sing both duet parts but also all the instrumentals, that might be a bit of a giveaway. However, if you’re like us here at Exeter-Cornwall, that may be how you sing a lot of songs… Oh, also, try to remember that christmas spirit when carolers come to visit. Even if their rendition of ‘Come All Ye Faithful’ is less than stellar.

8. Wrapping Presents

Now, I don’t know about you, but I’m admitting to being absolutely terrible at wrapping presents. From ripped sections of wrapping to too much tape, wrapping can cause undue stress, particularly compared to other family and friends, as their gifts seem wrapped straight from the elves themselves. Unless youu have Will Ferrel on call to show you how to wrap, I reccommend youtube tutorials. And if you’re one of those people who wrap presents perfectly every time, do that curly thing with the ribbons, spray with perfume and place strategically under the tree? Congratulations! 

9. Christmas Booze

Even the chocolates are alcoholic in the festive season. Everyone seems to adapt to the airport rule of drinking – it’s always 5 o’clock somewhere. Just make sure there aren’t any tech savvy relatives around to catch your sherry-fuelled dancing on camera.

10. Getting to be with your Friends and Family

This is the big one. Of course, what makes christmas at the end of the day, isn’t the presents or tinsel, or even advent chocolate. What really makes christmas is the people you share it with. 

From everyone here at Exeter-Cornwall, we wish you a merry christmas and a very happy New Year!