Top 10 Bisexual TV Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Bisexuality has often been a point of contention for characters’ sexualities in media, be it in television or film. Sometimes it’s left open ambiguously for viewers, other times fans simply expand upon a homosexual character and their exchanges with those of the opposite sex, i.e. reading between the lines. However, there are some who are portrayed and being open for their love for both genders. In honour of Bi-Visibility day, which took place on 23rd September, here is a countdown of my top ten television characters that are clearly shown to be attracted to both men and women. Yes, some of these people are no longer alive in their respective series, but let’s ignore that… 

10. Brittany Pierce (Glee)

Yes, I know it’s Glee. But still, Brittany was a wonderfully weird character, and her bisexuality wasn’t made a big deal of compared to other shows. She was just lovely. 

9. Annalise Keating (HTGAWM)

Another lady in red, this one is a hard one for the list. There’s no denying that this character is a badass in the deadliest sense, but she makes the list because she also happens to like girls too- even if she did refuse to believe it.

8. Magnus Bane (Mortal Instruments)

This character is certainly the most open on the list about his sexual preferences, and he might possibly be the most stylish. Another badass bisexual! And lets not forget he might have had a thing with Michelangelo in the past too… 

7. Oberyn Martell (GoT) 

This guy, though, seriously. I think we all know why he’s on this list, let’s get real. He had some pretty unforgettable scenes regarding that fact. 

6. Sara Lance (Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow)

Trained in assassination by her lover, Sara Lance was a well-liked character, and her relationship with Nyssa-al-Ghul was both sad and well portrayed.

5. Clarke Griffin (The 100)

This is a new one, seeing as I have never seen this show, but I’m quite aware of the controversy created amongst fans by the decision to reveal Clarke’s bisexuality, having romantic relationships with both male and female characters. Following the death of Commander Lexa, and the impact this character has had through the Internet, it has become clear that Clarke’s bisexuality has become a source of inspiration for young people today. 

4. Korra (Legend of Korra)

Korra is the only animated character on this list, and I know there might be others out there, but she’s worthy of a place on the list because she originates from a cartoon intended for younger audiences! Korra has proven herself a symbol not just for anime fans, as both a female warrior and a bisexual woman, but for a whole new generation. 

2. Calliope Torres (Grey’s Anatomy)

Being a soap opera character, Callie Torres’s sexuality was an important moment for Grey’s Anatomy. Her relationships gave audiences a true perspective of the difficulties of loving two genders, regardless of soap tendencies for the dramatics. Such a milestone for the genre. 

1. Captain Jack Harkness (Doctor Who/Torchwood)

Ok so he’s omnisexual, but in our world, and in this century, Captain Jack is a really handsome alien who loves both men and women. He’s my all time number one because his relationships are portrayed as wonderfully and realistically as they can possibly be. When he first appeared in Doctor Who all those moons ago, he was introduced to us as the flirtatious ladies man. Torchwood gave us the gift that was Jack and Ianto, shedding a whole new light on his character. His stark openness regarding sexuality has allowed for further character developments in the sci-fi/fantasy genres, and we miss him so so much. 

Want more information about Bi Visibility? Click here for further resources! 

Molly Griffiths

Exeter Cornwall '18

I grew up in Paris but was born in Ireland to an Irish mother and a British father. I'm literally obsessed with movies and literature. I also love animals and discovering new things.
Kacey Gaylor

Exeter Cornwall '18

Hello, I'm Kacey and I'm your President for Her Campus Exeter-Cornwall! Also a third year English student at the University of Exeter's Penryn campus, so you'll find me in the back corner of the library behind a tower of books- just follow the scent of coffee...