Ten Songs To Tend To Your Existential Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

With the struggles and pressures of University life, everybody is subject to an existential crisis or two.  There shouldn’t be any shame in these; everybody has their internal monologue that can sometimes become overwhelming. Here are some songs to help those moments of existential crisis.

Radiohead – Fake Plastic Trees

No playlist dealing with an existential crisis would be complete without the melancholic masters of music, Radiohead. The eerie tone set by Thom Yorke, with lyrics telling us of “fake plastic love” sends any listener straight into the search for meaning in past relationships, or the integrity of any aspect of life, a result of the persistant idea of the “real thing”.

Cat Power – Sea of Love

Whilst not explicitly exploring the lack of purpose in life, instead having much more positive lyrics on love, Cat Power remains essential to your crisis. The simplistic opening chords of the song instantly entrap you; only to be pierced by Charlyn Marshall’s haunting voice that squeezes out any supressed emotion you had leading up to your crisis.

Eels – Flower

There are not many singers that explore bleakness as well as Mark Everett. Their debut album ‘Beautiful Freak’ released in 1996 encapsulates every notion of what it feels like to be in a state of existential crisis, with lyrics such as “While the world passes me by/ And everyone is trying to bum me out”. Whilst “Flower” is a particular stand out for gloominess, the whole album is perfect for any time of existential crisis… or maybe even just for a hangover.

Courtney Barnett – Avant Gardener­

Courtney Barnett is a personal favourite, due to her deadpan style of singing and reflective lyrics, with “Avant Gardener” being a perfect example. The lyrics “should’ve stayed in bed today/ I much prefer the mundane” are sure to connect with any University struggling through another mundane Monday.

Belle and Sebastian – Lord Anthony

There are many songs that have tackled those awkward years of school that we have all faced, but not many depict a character as repressed as “Lord Anthony”. Stuart Murdoch’s high pitched, comforting voice is ideal for those reflective moments, with his ‘reassuring’ advice “take it in the guts – it can’t get worse” to help you through.

Kevin Morby – Parade

Kevin Morby’s “Parade” is key for achieving some positive moments out of your existential crisis. Whilst having a rather morbid tone throughout the song, the hopeful “may you find out who you are” offers some light to the darker moments of the song, such as the moodier chorus suggesting “If I were to die today”.

The Libertines – Music When The Lights Go Out

The Libertines seem to be experts at representing a drained, worn out generation of youths; especially in terms of relationships. The inner turmoil of faded love is represented perfectly here, with the fatal lyrics “I no longer hear the music”, presenting a loss of meaning, purpose and passion in a relationship. If your existential crisis is triggered by love and loneliness, this could be for you.

Modest Mouse – The World At Large

Modest Mouse, taking a much more grand approach to existentialism, encapsulate that ‘lost’ feeling that many of us often feel. With the title lyrics “The world’s at large, why should I remain?” questioning individual purpose, it is hard not to see a place for this in the crisis playlist. The closing lyrics “my thoughts were so loud I couldn’t hear my mouth” represent the overwhelming power and prominence our internal monologue often holds, making the song relatable for many.

The Strokes – Is This It?

Indie rock kings The Strokes are not shy from depressing undertones, especially in their debut album’s title track “Is This It?”. The opening noise of the winding down of a record followed by the fairly monotone voice of Julian Casablancas sets up a ‘tired out’ tone that is continued throughout the rest of the album. This tone is not to be considered a bad thing, but instead it suggests the feeling of lost hope, epitomised by the closing lyrics “I’m just way too tired”: something almost every University student can relate to.

Green Day – Give Me Novocaine

One of Green Day’s more touching songs, ‘Give me Novacaine’ stands out from the ground breaking 2004 album ‘American Idiot’. Here, the politics prevalent throughout the rest of the album are dropped, instead the lyrics are focused on a personal,  internal pain, with Armstrong pleading to “drain the pressure from this feeling”, providing an intensity of emotion. The comforting lyrics “Tell me that I won’t feel a thing” give a sense of support, adding some sort of hope to an existential crisis… perhaps.

So grab some headphones, find somewhere to lie down for a long time, and wait out the waves of existentialism. Godspeed.