Spring Cleaning: 5 Steps To An Organised Bedroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

It’s Spring tomorrow! And it’s finally beginning to feel like that on campus – the sun is shining, BBQ’s are being had, and we’re spending all our free time down on Gylly Beach. So what better way to take advantage of this refreshing season than by giving our bedrooms a spring clean? Busy schedules mean we sometimes forget about our living conditions, or put them off until we feel we have time to clean them. However, a little dust here and there makes all the difference in oragnising our hectic lives. After all, a cleaner environment equals a clearer mind. 

1. Remember the little things

As Collegiates we need to keep track of all our coursework and textbooks, and if we have outfit choices for tonight’s party and yesterdays crisp packet littering the floor, how are we supposed to find them? The key to organisation lies in a thorough clean every now and again – which means putting our shoes in the wardrobe, pens on our desks etc. That way, when our keys go missing or that really important essay gets misplaced, we won’t have to worry because our rooms will be SO tidy that we’ll be able to see them straight away.

2. Dust, Polish, Repeat

Once everything has been packed away into its proper place you’ll be able to start on the bulk of the cleaning. This includes dusting, polishing, wiping down work surfaces (desk, nightstands etc.), cleaning the toilet and vaccuming the floor. This may seem like a tedious job but with a little background music, you’ll be surprised how quickly you can get it done.  

3. Washing

Another task which must be carried out in order to achieve an organised and tidy bedroom. There’s no point denying that at least once in our time at University we have witnessed the picture above – our washing basket filled to the brim with odd socks, that top with the stain, and our favourite jeans. So take your next free day to tackle this by finally putting them in the wash, as well as replacing your current bedsheet and duvet with a clean one. 

4. Organising Files 

Now that all the monotonous tasks are over we can move on to the fun side of Spring cleaning – NEW STUFF! A great to keep on top of all your work is to organise your files accordingly – for example under module, topic or term – whichever works best for you. Having more concise files makes it that much easier when you’re skimming back in revision to look for something specific. Binders can also be a pretty accessory for your shelves too. Check out WHSmith’s 50% off collection, just in time for Spring! 

5. Accessories

Finally, to both complete your newly tidied room and to congratulate yourself on the hard work you put into it, buy yourself an accessory. This can be a new cushion, poster or even some new fairylights – anything that looks good and makes your bedroom feel more personal. A great idea I found online was something called a  ‘Motivation Wall’ – which means finding inspirational quotes or making up your own, writing them on to post-it notes and sticking them on your wall. That way when you’re feeling uninspired or lacking motivation it can provide a little boost to get you on your feet again.

Hannah Harrison

Exeter Cornwall

Aspiring entertainment journalist who dreams of living and working in the USA. Currently studying English Literature at the University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus.