Snapshot: Morning at the Beach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

It recently struck me that, despite the fact that I go to university right by the sea, the overwhelming amount of deadlines last term had meant that I hadn’t been to the beach in literally months, and I felt really, really ashamed of myself. We live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country and I thought that it was definitely time that I started trying to make the most of it, and so on Wednesday morning I headed down to Swanpool before my lectures. It was a beautiful day and the beach looked really rather lovely, so I thought I’d share some of my photos with you all!

I’m generally not a morning person, and so it always feels kind of special whenever I get outside the house before midday. I thought the sky looked really beautiful with the sun coming up, and also, I found that the really nice thing about heading to the sea in the morning is that there’s hardly anyone around, save a few dog walkers.

And the sun was actually out, which was a small miracle given the abysmal weather we’ve been having recently! Nothing beats Cornwall in the sunshine.

Most of us students are only in Cornwall for a couple of years, and the easy access to the ocean is one I think we all take for granted. Then again, however, I did venture down to the beach on Thursday morning too, except in torrential rain and very strong wind, and this is what it looked like then:

What you can’t see in this photo is me, looking very soggy and very windswept. It turns out that walking in terrible weather is significantly less fun than walking in the sun. If you’re ever in the mood for an early morning excursion to the sea, I’d say go for it, just not if it’s raining. Either that, or invest in a really great umbrella. 

Amy Beaumont

Exeter Cornwall

I'm an English Literature and History student, a big fan of cats, and Campus Coordinator for Her Campus Exeter Cornwall.