Penguin Love: John Lewis Christmas Advert 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

The nights are drawing in, the air is becoming chillier and Christmas is on the horizon. This can all mean only one thing. Yes, you guessed it, the John Lewis Christmas advert was released last week and of course it surpassed all expectations (as it always does). The advert tells the story of a young boy who has a penguin for a best friend, who goes by the name of Monty. The advert illustrates their days together leading up to Christmas; they watch television, play hide and seek, and jump on the trampoline. It’s all very sweet, until Monty’s behaviour suggests there is something missing in his life. Romantic films on the TV and couples lovingly embracing in the street, hint at Monty’s desire to find love this Christmas. We won’t spoil the ending for those of you who haven’t seen it, but let’s just say you’ll either be smiling so hard your cheeks hurt or reaching for the box of tissues. If you haven’t already, give it a watch below…

As always, John Lewis seem to produce the most heartfelt and truly beautiful Christmas adverts, often ending with small slogans, such as ‘Give someone the Christmas they’ve been dreaming of’, or ‘Give someone a Christmas they’ll never forget’. These little subliminal messages always make us stop and think about the ways in which we can achieve this for our own family, friends and S.O’s. What can I do to give my parents a Christmas they will never forget? How can I give my family a little more love this Christmas?

That being said, we haven’t even mentioned John Lewis’s musical choices. This years, Monty The Penguin ad, features Tom Odell covering John Lennon’s song Real Love. Not only is it passionate and sentimental, but it almost sounds like a Christmas carol itself! The lyrics help to truly capture John Lewis’s message: achieving a Christmas that we’ve always dreamt of, by finding the one. “All my little plans and schemes, Lost like some forgotten dreams, Seems like all I really was doing, Was waiting for you”. How romantic…

John Lewis also use songs which are not necessarily Christmas related. It’s a truly refreshing idea and somehow they manage to pull it off perfectly. Past songs have included: Ellie Goulding’s cover of Elton John’s Your Song, Lily Allen’s version of Keane’s Somewhere Only We Know, and my all time favourite, Gabrielle Aplin’s cover of Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s The Power of Love.

There’s no such thing as getting excited for Christmas too early, so if you’re having trouble resisting the urge to listen to Wham’s Last Christmas, or whacking Home Alone in the DVD player, do what I do. Watch as many Christmas adverts on YouTube as you can, and make the ultimate Christmas playlist on Spotify. Before you know it, it’ll be December 1st and you’ll be able to properly start celebrating the festive season! 

Hannah Harrison

Exeter Cornwall

Aspiring entertainment journalist who dreams of living and working in the USA. Currently studying English Literature at the University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus.