Five Ways To Spread Kindness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

I think we can all agree that 2017 may not have started off as well we would have thought, personally or otherwise. That’s why I feel the world and the people around us could use a little love and care right now. Tomorrow, 17th February, marks Random Act of Kindness Day, a thing everyone could use regardless of where they are in life. So, here are 5 ways you can be kind or spread kindness around you.

5. Smile or compliment someone

Sometimes a smile is all it takes to change a person’s mood for the better, I know it does for me. It shows the other person that they are being acknowledged, and so are worthy of being acknowledged, showing the person that there are people out there who care about something other than themselves. Compliments do the same, as they help build up what might be low self-esteem. 

4. Donate, volunteer or fundraise

Do a massive clear out of your wardrobe and donate everything you don’t need or want to charity; you never know whose life might be made just a bit better by having that old coat. Or donate money safely instead, which is also a way to be able to feel good about yourself whilst helping others in need. If you don’t feel like donating, volunteer with an organization – your help will always be appreciated – or raise funds for a cause that’s close to your heart.  

3. Help a friend

Studying can prove a stressful and frustrating task – we all know it. So why not give a friend a helping hand? Or, alternatively, be the friend they need for a while just listen and support them through whatever they’re going through.  

2. Write a letter/say thank you

Letter-writing may be a lost art (or so they say) but that doesn’t mean that it’s not a joy to receive one, especially when it’s not expected. Writing a letter or note to someone can also be a way of saying thank you, like with Operation Gratitude where you can send letters to deployed or wounded soldiers.

1. Care for someone who can’t care for themselves

This doesn’t have to be limited to the elderly or the infirm. Sometimes people need help going through their daily life, no matter their age. Bring flowers to an elderly care home and you’ll make their day so much brighter. Help children in need by donating old toys and books to hospitals. Maybe just help someone in your neighbourhood or study group, whoever is close by. Because, whilst they may not ask for it, helping and supporting someone who can’t do it for themselves is the best thing you can do.

By being selfless, even for just a day, you and anyone who participates by committing little acts of kindness will slowly be making the world a better place, and making it better for the people in it. Check out the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation here to find more inspirational acts. 

Molly Griffiths

Exeter Cornwall '18

I grew up in Paris but was born in Ireland to an Irish mother and a British father. I'm literally obsessed with movies and literature. I also love animals and discovering new things.