Campus Cutie: Becky Betteridge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Sitting outside Koofi on an unseasonably sunny February afternoon, I met up with Becky, this week’s Campus Cutie.

Although she’s busy with her course, being a second year joint History and English student, she’s focusing on her upcoming charity work. “I’m climbing Kilimanjaro in September” she explained, “its for a charity called Dig Deep that really interests me.” Her desire to do the climb stems from the emotional impact the life saving surgery she received in Kenya had on her. “I think it’s really important to be able to give back in those kind of situations when something that important has happened to you,” she explains. Becky will be holding gig nights and a pub quiz on the 23rd at Jacobs to help raise money for Dig Deep if you fancied helping out for a worthy cause, or simply to meet our lovely Cutie.

Besides climbing Kilimanjaro, her bucket list is otherwise taken up with her desire to see the Seven Wonders of the World. “I have plans to get going on that after I graduate,” she said “a friend and I have decided on going to India, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, LA and Brazil together.” Apart from her exciting travel plans, her life after her degree is still up in the air. “I think I’m just going to see what happens, to be honest. I wanted to be a teacher, but the idea of having to do a teacher training course really put me off as I don’t particularly want to do more studying by the time I’ve graduated” she explained, “Although I think working for the BBC in some way would be really awesome.”

Inspired by the amazing weather while I interviewed Becky, I asked her where her favourite place in Cornwall was to go on days like these. “Kynance Cove, for sure” she said immediately. How did she find it? “We actually got really really lost one day and just sort of stumbled upon it!” This wonderful place can be found near the Lizard, on the East side of Mount’s Bay. “We came across it last summer when the weather was amazing, and I just fell completely in love with it, if you were ever fancying escaping from University for a couple of hours, Kynance is absolutely perfect.”

I conclude my chat with the lovely Becky with the customary request for her to describe herself in three words. “Ok, I’m going to say…loyal, kind and thoughtful.” , before adding, “oh, and single! I feel like I should mention that in this interview?” She laughs, “Although I don’t need no man, I’m a strong independent woman.”

So there you have it ladies and gentlemen, this week’s Campus Cutie, Becky (#don’tneednoman) who is single and ready to mingle.

Cecelia Armstrong

Exeter Cornwall

Hannah Harrison

Exeter Cornwall

Aspiring entertainment journalist who dreams of living and working in the USA. Currently studying English Literature at the University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus.