5 Words You Should Use More – In Your Vocabulary and Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

As language evolves and the dictionary grows, it is only natural that we forget certain words, and others simply go out of fashion. I’ve rounded up some of these forgotten words, which I think we should all use more – not only in our sentences but also in our lives. Each word denotes something that I believe we should all make more time for, as well as being valuable re-additions to our vocabulary.

ba·si·ate {verb}: to kiss

In your vocab: Smooch, kiss, snog, make out…none of these synonyms quite seem to encapsulate the beauty and meaning of the act quite as well as ‘basiate;’ a forgotten word for an everyday act of love.

In your life: French kiss, butterfly kiss, eskimo kiss, a kiss on the cheek, an air kiss… whoever to and whatever for, kissing is one of the most universal acts of showing love. Given and received millions of times each day, evidence has been uncovered that kissing is an innate trait of humans – uniting the species despite the distancing attempts linguistic and cultural differences. It has also been proven that kissing is good for you – not only by showing affection and thereby improving relationships, but also for your health. What are you waiting for? Pucker up!

cal·li·pyg·i·an {adjective}: having well-shaped buttocks

In your vocab: Derived from Greek calli- (beautiful) + pyge (buttocks), this word is a much more gracious way of saying, well, ‘nice butt.’

In your life: Don’t we all want callipygian assets? Well, at least now we’ve been reminded the word exists. Why not try the ever-dreaded squat challenge to accomplish the behind you’ve always dreamed of.

fuz·zle {verb}: to make drunk; to intoxicate; to fuddle

In your vocab: This word epitomizes the very essence of having a glass – or two! It perfectly expresses the deliciously oblivious world a couple of martinis can evoke, and is also bound to invoke a (possibly alcohol-induced) giggle.

In your life: Are you really going to argue with me advocating you have a couple of glasses of wine? Thought not! But, in case you would like to justify it to yourself, alcohol is known as a “social lubricant,” meaning you will work parties or events even more flawlessly than you do already. Having a drink can help you to relax, too…and also do things you may not normally. Usually, this is seen as a negative side to drinking. However, as long as you do have some limits, it could be a good thing to get you talking to people you wouldn’t normally and generally being more adventurous. Feel better about the glass you just poured, now?

lu·cu·bra·tion {noun}: 1. Laborious or intensive study 2. The product of such study

In your vocab: Personally, when I wake up knowing I must study laboriously and intensely, I don’t feel particularly glamorous. However, were I to us the word lucubration around my studying, perhaps I could feel a little more elegant.

In your life: No matter how much we would like to feign otherwise, there is no doubt we could find a little more room in our lives to further our studies and intellect. 

ap·ric·it·y {noun}: the warmth of the sun in winter

In your vocab: This word has such a specific meaning, yet represents a very simple phenomena. It is simple pleasures such as this one that we all ought to enjoy more – perhaps recalling this word will allow you to observe, rather than ignore, the next time you experience a moment of apricity.

In your life: One of the reasons I selected this word was the fact that it reminded me of a different word – ‘appreciate.’ While it is nice to know a synonym that singularly encapsulates the phrase ‘the warmth of the sun in winter,’ what I believe is paramount is the reminder to appreciate; not just the satisfying feeling this word describes, but all that you have.

Olivia Burton

Exeter Cornwall