5 Reasons Why Valentines Day Doesn’t Have To Suck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

1.   Deals on food! 

That’s right, Valentines Day deals are there to be exploited. Just grab a friend and get yourselves some cheap food from somewhere offering couples deals. Wetherspoons are just the place for cheap February 14th food and some pick-me-up cocktails for afters! Cheat the system, you know you want to.

2.   You can save money…

Cards, flowers, chocolate and other nonsense presents – who needs to spend money on that? 

3.   … that can be spent on sales  

Everything Valentines Day related will go on sale on the 15th and that counts for single people, too. Go crazy on teddy bears, flowers, chocolate and lingerie. The best part? You get to keep them. 

4.   Own it 

You can have a party indoors / go out and give everyone something else to look forward to. If you’re not the partying type you can chill out and ignore that Valentines Day is even happening. It’s a time of love and appreciation: a time to love and appreciate some great TV. I recommend watching all of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Breaking Bad or Orange is the New Black (all can be accessed via Netflix so go nuts with this free trial).

5.   Tumblr 

The memes are great and there’s no shame in spending an entire day on Tumblr laughing at them whilst watching Buffy and eating your own huge giant chocolate bar. ASDA do some great Gingerbread Fudge Ice Cream, too.  

Relationships are great – sometimes – but they’re not needed to have a good day. Think Pussycat Dolls because you don’t need a man (or woman) to make it happen.

Emma Pocock

Exeter Cornwall

Hannah Harrison

Exeter Cornwall

Aspiring entertainment journalist who dreams of living and working in the USA. Currently studying English Literature at the University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus.