toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Movies to Prepare You for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

When you’re away from university, some holidays can pass you by. But, somehow, Halloween doesn’t seem to be one of them. Whether you’re celebrating at home with your family or gorging on candy with your friends on campus, here are five movie recommendations to get you into the spooky spirit this October:

1. Coraline

Yes, it’s a kid’s movie, but it’s also so much more than that. The “Other Mother” has become a new favourite Halloween costume, and indeed a great spooky character on the whole. You can’t help but root for Coraline as she searches how to find a way home. 

2. Edward Scissorhands 

If you want to ignore this one, go ahead – it’s partially understandable. However, regardless of current feelings for the lead actor, this movie remains a great addition to any Halloween-themed movie night. It’s worth a watch for its scary but lovable main character, his relationship with the family who takes him in, and the changes he makes to the world that surrounds him. It’s a good, slightly less scary one to start your movie night off with.

3. Beetlejuice 

The title character of this film can put you in the spirit of Halloween with no problem. A scary but funny movie – coincidentally also starring Winona Ryder – it is one to watch simply for the eccentricities and behaviours of said title character, particularly the “help” he offers and the effect is has on the family he gleefully and relentlessly torments. 

4. Hocus Pocus 

Who doesn’t love witches at Halloween? Particularly ones played by Sarah Jessica Parker and Bette Midler, who both know how to bring along the dramatics when they are needed. These three sorceresses will put the fun and silliness into any Halloween movie viewing. You may even find yourself repeating some of the spells! 

5. Carrie

Last on the list, and the scariest movie out of them all, is Carrie. Everyone knows what happens to Carrie at prom, but are we all sure of her reaction? A staple in Halloween movie viewing for its timeless (but no less horrible) prank and the bloody consequences of it, this is a great, creepy movie that will probably put you off dancing and proms for the rest of your life!

There are many more spooky, scary movies to choose from – it all depends on how scared you get. Just remember, don’t watch them alone! 

Molly Griffiths

Exeter Cornwall '18

I grew up in Paris but was born in Ireland to an Irish mother and a British father. I'm literally obsessed with movies and literature. I also love animals and discovering new things.