This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

The Presidential Debate is coming up, so… let’s talk. 

I’ve been wanting to write an article about voting, but I didn’t know where to start! So, I decided to get a different perspective on voting by asking my peers for their voting reasonings. All of my responses will be recorded anonymously. It’s quite interesting to hear everyone’s reasonings, so with that said here are the responses I received! 

Q: Why are you voting? 

A: Because I don’t want Trump as our president.

Q: Why are you (not) voting? 

A: I’m not voting because of the social pressure to “do the right thing.” Our country is so politically divided it is unfair to our young voters to put so much pressure on them to do what others want and call it the right thing to be doing.

Q: Why are you voting? 

A: For a change. To make our country a better place. 

Q: Why are you (not) voting? 

A: I haven’t educated myself enough on the subject. I have never really been into politics and so this is a big election I don’t have enough education to make a decision. 

Q: Why are you voting? 

A: I am voting in this election! I am so ecstatic to cast my first vote for a  major election especially in a swing state (PA). I think voting is one of the greatest rights we have as citizens and we should always exercise our right to vote. Civil engagement is so important because it was what our country was founded on. We have the right to voice our opinions on who we want to represent us and our values. The stakes are very high this year and it is very reminiscent of the 2016 election. For me, the difference is that I get to vote this time and I am going to make sure my vote is counted. There are so many issues on the line for this election such as women’s rights, the right to healthcare, LGBTQ+ rights, climate change, public health (the COVID-19 pandemic), immigrant rights, and so much more. The general election is not only about who is going to be the next President and Vice President but it is also about the future of our Supreme Court, who do we want to lead different departments/cabinet positions, and how we maintain diplomatic relations. I urge everyone who can vote to please vote. Gen-Z voters in particular have a major stake in this election and our voices need to be heard.

Q: Why are you voting? 

A: Biden. Just Biden. 

Q: Why are you voting? 

A: I am voting in the upcoming election because I want to see change in this country. The current administration is hurting America, and I want to see that change as soon as possible. We deserve a leader who has the ability to respect the American people and keep them safe and content. Currently, minority groups are feeling defeated, women are treated as lesser than men, and those of different sexual orientations or gender expressions are dismissed. Young voters are the future of our world, and I am voting because I need my voice to be heard.

Q: Why are you voting? 

A: I’m voting because I think having a vote is a great responsibility and honor that not everyone can have and I want to make the most of it 

Q: Why are you (not) voting? 

A: I’m not voting because I don’t have a strong opinion towards anyone running and it honestly won’t affect me either way it goes. If there was someone actually worth my vote that I really liked and thought would do a good job then I’d vote but not for this election. 

Q: Why are you voting?

A: I am voting because I am lucky enough to have the right. And like many other people, I want change, and that can’t happen unless I vote. I know my vote counts, and I want to be apart of the hopefully soon to come change. 

Q: Why are you voting? A: I am voting in the next presidential election because I want to make a difference in America and share my voice and quite honestly make a vote against Trump because I don’t want him running another four years. 

Q: Why are you voting? A: I’m voting and I even registered in Wisconsin since it’s a swing state! I’m voting because I’ve never voted before and I think it’s so important to be informed on what’s happening in our country because the people the president gets to appoint (their cabinets) impact everything in our lives from our education to our cities to our police. And personally, I really disagree with so much that Trump has done while in office and he just isn’t professional so I’m voting for Biden because I believe he knows more about politics and I really liked Obama and I know that Obama trusts Biden. Even though I don’t know a ton about politics, I do know that it’s important to exercise our right to vote because of so many people cant for various reasons and so we shouldn’t be wasting our right to vote because it is a right. 

Q: Why are you voting? A: I am voting because even though politics are not a big part of my life nor do I have much interest in it, many people rely on the acts and services, and whether or not they are passed by the president. To me, this year’s upcoming election means helping others and voicing change for the people who need it. We need a president who will protect minority groups, immigrants, and the planet and so much more.

Q: Why are you voting? A: I am voting because this is the first election that I am allowed to vote in. I am a firm believer in equality and equity for every American citizen. I am using my right to vote to bring justice to the struggling minorities of our country. It upsets me to see the way other people are treated because of their skin color or ethnicity and I will do anything in my power to prevent further mistreatment. In my opinion, the first step is to vote Trump out of the white house. He never belonged there in the first place. It pains me to listen to him talk to this country the way he does. He views American citizens as inferior to himself. This country is so flooded with white privilege and white power that it upsets me to my core. No one should be treated less than someone else. As we were all taught in elementary school, “Treat others the way you want to be treated.” How does any of what Trump has done in the last four years resemble that saying? I want someone to represent our country as a whole. I want someone to care about global warming. I want someone to care about my reproductive rights! If the only way for me to help remove Trump from the highest position in America is by voting on election day, then that is what I am going to do. You have my word. 

Q: Why are you voting? 

A: Our world is in jeopardy and it’s really important to have the youth involved because they are the future. 

Q: Why are you voting? 

A: I am voting because I am finally old enough and also because I believe it is my duty as a citizen to vote. We are very privileged now especially as women to be able to voice and share our opinions and we must speak up and out for those who are unable to do so as well as ourselves, especially considering so many freedoms are on the line in this particular election.  

Q: Why are you voting? A: I’m voting in this election (and in every election) because I care deeply about the future of this planet and the people it provides a home for. I am voting because I want that home to be safe, LIVABLE, equitable, and inclusive. Voting in every election is one way I participate in seeing this vision of the world come to fruition. Michelle Obama says it best, “You’ve got to vote, vote vote, vote. That’s it; that’s the way we move forward. That’s how we make progress for ourselves and for our country.”

Thank you for taking the time to read my article, and if you’d like to hear my opinion, here it is…

Q: Why are you voting? A: I am voting in this upcoming election along with every election simply because I truly believe Trump has done more harm to our country than good, that he is extremely unprepared, purposefully creates barriers and difficulties for people in need, and those without a voice. He repeatedly and continuously lies, blames, insults, mocks, discriminates, and hates. A leader should be none of those things, but rather an individual who uses their power and position for good, to make good decisions and a good impact. We live in a country where Trump rules with the intent of hate, destruction, separation, and division of people, and suffering. His last four years in office have left many, many, many, negative impacts and it is no surprise from his many negative traits. Trump’s tendency to undermine our system of checks and balances and the constitution itself is one of the many reasons why we cannot continue to have a president who intentionally hurts people and takes advantage of his position and power. Trust me, I can continue, (I wrote a 16-page paper dedicated to all the reasons why Trump needs to be voted out), but nevertheless, voting is essential because Trump is a danger to our country, our planet, and in sum, everyone. Voting him out is me saying I want my voice to be heard. I care deeply about my safety, your safety, our safety- everyone’s safety! I am disgusted that Trump is (and has been) our president (if you can even call him that) because he is a deceiving, manipulative, and horrid human, and I will not stand to have him in office for a second term. We must vote for the sake of everyone’s future. A wise vote is to vote him out. 

If you are unsure if you should vote, try imagining this scenario. Let’s say you are going to be born into America, but you don’t know what you’re going to be born as. You might be a man, you might be a woman, you might be an immigrant, you might be a native, you might be Mexican, Black, Jewish, white, rich, poor, gifted, have all sorts of mental challenges, you have no idea. All you know is that you are going to be born in America. Now think, what kind of society do you want to create if you don’t know who you’re going to be in that society. Now, in terms of the upcoming presidential election, I want you to vote for the candidate who will build the kind of society you would want to be born into if you didn’t know who you were going to be.

You may not know a lot about the election, or you may feel impartial regarding both candidates, but hear me now and hear me loud and clear- that is your privilege talking. People’s lives, safety, and basic human rights are on the line with this election. Vote as if yours is.

Selia Potas

Endicott '23

Hi friends! My name is Seal, I'm currently the President of Her Campus, and I'm so excited you're here!! I'm a junior art education major with a concentration in secondary education and a minor in creative arts therapy at Endicott College in Beverly, MA!