Why I am NOT entering my manifestation era

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

This year, I have decided to fully embrace the life that I am going to create for myself. I find that this era is commonly described as a “girlboss manifestation era,” which I personally take fault with. 

While I hate to start any piece of writing with a definition, I think that it’s crucial here. When I Google “manifestation,” Merriam-Webster provides a few different definitions: (1) “a perceptible, outward, or visible expression” or (2) “an occult phenomenon specifically: MATERIALIZATION.” Naturally, I also had to check out what Urban Dictionary had to say about it, since the urban term is the one I am referencing here: “a term used by subliminal users meaning to hope for a desire until it comes true using the law of attraction.” This led me into a deep dive of what the law of attraction was. According to VeryWellHealth, the law of attraction is simply the idea of philosophy that positive thoughts = positive life (i.e, success in life, health, finance, etc), and negative thoughts = negative outcomes.  

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m probably going to come across as a very negative person with what I’m about to say, and I pinky promise you that I am not, just bear with me. When I look at those definitions, and I take into consideration what I have witnessed in todays “manifestation culture,” I really think that it’s toxic. When I see people “manifesting,” it’s usually a post on Instagram or YikYak of people asking for people to “manifest” or essentially “think really good thoughts for them.” Now, once again, stick with me here. I think that thinking good thoughts for someone is all fine and dandy. I’m a spiritual person and I have my personal beliefs on the power of thought and prayer, but that’s for another article. Essentially, I do not think that we should be encouraging people to rely on “manifestation” for positive life outcomes, rather encourage people to really work for them. Instead of rewatching some famous YouTuber who has study hacks, watch them once, then actually apply those tips. Instead of “manifesting” a good 2023, figure out what you need to do to make it a good year for yourself. 

When I think of the word “manifest” I think of just hoping really hard. I don’t see or take any issue with that as long as it’s not your sole method for a positive outcome. If it is, I think that we are then encouraging people to just sit and hope and wait, rather than seizing the moment. It would also result in better feelings about oneself too. Let’s take the example of a test. If you studied and worked so hard, went into the test knowing that you are confident and capable, and got a good grade, you would be proud of yourself because of the good hard work that you put in. Positive work + positive mindset (manifestation) = positive outcome. In contrast, if you just went in without studying at all, minimal work put in, but “manifested” a good grade, and maybe got a good one, would you really feel as good? You also would be academically cheating yourself in the long run anyways. 

At the end of the day, how you choose to live your life is up to you. This is just my two cents about how I am going into my 2023 girlboss era, NOT my manifestation era. 

Alexa Flodman

Endicott '25

Hi! My name is Alexa! I am an Elementary Education major. I love music, the TV show Friends, and I have an addiction to popcorn. In my free time, I enjoy hiking, spending time at the beach, and hanging out with my friends!