This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

For some people, Thanksgiving may be a couple days off from school or work, a time to see family and friends, a break from constant stress, or a time to gather and have a feast. For others, it could be just like any other day, where you go to work or school, do your chores, or run errands.

For me personally, Thanksgiving is one of the days I look forward to most every year. My full appreciation for this holiday didn’t begin until I went to college and realized how much of a pure gift it is to be home, surrounded by my family.

Sure, Thanksgiving is a holiday full of side dishes and main entrees galore, but to me, it’s more than just what is on the table — it’s who is gathered around the table that makes the holiday most meaningful for me. During the weeks leading up to the holiday, there is a constant excitement within me. There is a constant reminder to keep going because Thanksgiving is right around the corner. There is a constant feeling of “I can do this” when things start to get tough because I know that in just a few days I will be right where I belong, with who I belong with.

However, beyond the food and the people, there is the meaning behind the holiday. The message the holiday sends is to be grateful for everything and for everyone. It is a time to sit with yourself and think about what you’re thankful for. It is also a time to remind yourself of all the good things and all the positive things that surround you and make you feel lucky. 

It’s so easy to focus on the hardships, the struggles, and the negative factors that we come across every day. It’s so easy to be knocked down and blinded from all the good things there truly are in our everyday lives. For me, Thanksgiving feels like the one day that all of this can be put aside, and we can show thanks and gratitude.

So, with this being said, this Thanksgiving, whether it be a time of gathering or just any other day, I hope you do reflect and remind yourself of all the good in your life. I hope you think about all the people and things that you’re thankful for, and I encourage you to take this day to celebrate the good things, the happy things, and the reasons why you’re grateful.

XOXO, Marissa

Marissa Dery

Endicott '25

Hi!! My name is Marissa and I'm an Elementary Education major at Endicott College! Some of my favorite things consist of spending time with family and friends, traveling, watching movies, going to concerts, and teaching! Welcome to my HerCampus page, I'm so happy you're here :))