This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

A Star is Born Review

By: Julia Keegan     

This remake directed and starring Bradley Cooper is also Lady Gaga’s movie debut. The romance about a troubled rockstar and an upcoming singer is never bound to fail, and it definitely hasn’t. A Star is Born has its ups and downs. Some Spoiler Alerts coming!!!!!

Startings with the ups first, the acting makes this movie. Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga both put forward amazing performances. Bradley Cooper playing Jack, the famous country star with a drug and alcohol addiction, and Lady Gaga playing Ally, a struggling waitress turned superstar, when she meets jack at a drag bar. The first roughly forty minutes of this movie is what I believe truly deserves an Oscar. You see the relationship grow between these two characters and you immediately feel for them. You get a sense that this is the right kind of Oscar nominated movie while watching the cinematography as well as the music in the beginning is just breathtaking.

Then as you move past the first forty minutes as Ally’s careers picks up, so does the pacing and editing. After the beautiful montage of the couple on the road, the editing and story gets a little choppy. I was taken out of the film almost cringing as Ally’s career was in the hand of the new manager, Rez Gavron. Gaga is so talented although that it is a forgivable second act to the movie.

The ending though is where the acting does pay off. The final act of this movie is very triggering and upsetting. Warning, you may ugly cry. The two singers break your heart. But after the movie is over all of the music is on Spotify, so you can just keep Shallows on repeat till you get home, like I did.

A Star is Born is worth the watch, and I am excited to see how it does in the 2018 Oscar season.