This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

I know, I know. As an avid media consumer you’re probably overwhelmed with hearing about the Kardashian sisters. The family name comes with a lot of baggage and as consumers we can’t ignore that. However, I do believe that the work this family does is of that with good intent. Modern day advertising is changing ever so. Advertisements most recently have started to be questioned on account of over emphasizing body image, inclusion of harmful products or production processes, and even the constant repetition.

SKIMS, formally known and revamped from the product name ‘Kimono’, is positioned in the market as underwear, loungewear, and shapewear. In the face of the media however, the brand is being heavily depicted for the effectiveness and versatility of the shapewear products. The shapewear has been positioned by the brand to stretch up at least two sizes. The company has certainly started to make its place in the retail industry. Whether that market share has been a positive solution to body confidence or a negative one is still up for debate. Meanwhile the products are starting to get credit on social media platforms by mostly satisfied customers. 

The Kardashian family has never fallen short of supporting each other’s goals, sisters Khole, Kourtney, Kendall, Kylie and even best friend Stassie have shown endless support through Instagram content. Additional celebrity highlights have come from stars, Ashley Graham, Wendy Williams, Lisa Rinna, Niki Minaj, Jackie Goldschneider, Jenna Dewan, Billie Eilish, and others. Endless Instagram, Tik Tok, and YouTube users have left their comments on the brand however one particular YouTube sensation has taken action on showcasing her raw emotions with products. 

YouTuber AlishaMarie, has taken to the platform to share her fair share of experiences with the Kardashian products. Reviewing everything from Kendall’s 818 Tequila to Kourtney’s Poosh smoothie recipes, AlishaMarie doesn’t hold back initial reactions to give viewers the true experience of the first encounter with these products. In one particular video, the YouTube sensation reviews SKIMS shapewear products in comparison to her favorite Spanx purchases. Initial reactions were to the unboxing of the products. AlishaMarie flaunted the “super cool” packaging. Taking each product out of their bags, it was hard to not comment on the tiny sizing of the clothing. When trying things on, the shapewear was tight at first but as expressed “fits like a glove” when it’s past the hips. An overall conclusion after several try on hauls, highlights the unmatched comfortability, strong material, and versatility of the minimalist colors and styles. 

After watching the reviews and seeing the finished looks, I had to try it myself. While I don’t have much experience with shapewear, I do tend to purchase a lot of sleepwear and everyday loungewear. The cozy knit tank and matching bottoms are a total win from me. Regardless of the price, the material is thick, sturdy, and exempts softness that is unmatchable. Additionally, I was able to grab the waffle zip up hoodie and the basic outdoor leggings. Both lived up to my expectations in terms of comfort and versatility, and I can’t help but to notice the way it highlights my curves. General conclusion? I say it’s worth it if you are in a treat yourself moment or looking to invest in some new wardrobe basics. Arguably, you can never go wrong with some neutral staples and from what influencers like AlishaMarie are stating, the shapewear gets the job done.

Clare Manning

Endicott '23

thanks for reading my work, xoxo