My Summer Recap: Hawaii, Concerts, & Beaches

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

This summer flew by, and now that I’m back in my dorm, it feels like I never left. My summer was filled with beach days, work days (both paid and non-paid), and mini vacays. I interned at my towns’ local newspaper two days a week for most of the summer. This was a great experience, and I learned a lot about the journalism industry. I got a few pieces published, and now I have some real journalism experience to put on my resume. My internship started in June, but I ended up staying until the week before I came back to school. This was because my hours were limited to about 10 a week, and between working at Old Navy, and having a social life, I was perfectly happy to spread it out.

I was about two weeks into my internship, when I made the bold (and very spur-of-the-moment) decision to join my friend, and her mom, on a 10 day trip to Hawaii. My friend had been asking me to go for months, but I couldn’t make the decision on whether or not to go. Don’t get me wrong, I wanted to go to Hawaii, it was more of the time and money commitment that was stopping me. Anyway, a week or two before they were set to leave, I decided to go for it. My parents, and grandparents, threw in some money and I bought the ticket.

Thankfully, my internship supervisor was super understanding and allowed me to take a two-week hiatus to go on this once-in-a-lifetime trip.

My brother and I had previously bought tickets to go see Logic in Hartford, and now I was leaving for Hawaii at 3 o’clock the following morning.

This was a crazy 24 hours, but it totally paid off. I loved Hawaii and I would go back in a heartbeat. It was probably one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen; it was perfect.

When I got back, I had a few weeks off to focus on my internship and work before things picked up again. July was filled with birthday celebrations, family visits, and on the last weekend, a Taylor Swift concert. One of my schools friends had hooked us up with a sweet deal for tickets at Gillette. The group of us decided to make a weekend out of it, so we spent a couple of nights in Massachusetts. It was a fantastic show; probably the best concert I’ve been to.

My summer came to an end with my family’s annual Rye Beach weekend trip. My grandmother books a bunch of rooms at a local motel across from Jenness beach and we have a great weekend. I got to see my cousins and shop at the Kittery outlets. No complaints from me.  

My summer was jam-packed, but I wouldn’t have had it any other way. I’m now a junior at Endicott and my summers are slowly becoming unpredictable, so I wanted to take advantage of everything. Now that I’m back and settled at school, I am ready to take on some new adventures.

Riley Jenson

Endicott '20

I am a senior at Endicott with a major in Marketing Communication/Advertising and a minor in Professional Writing. I'm passionate about writing and the fashion industry. My dream is to move to New York City.
Eva Graef

Endicott