This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

The month of October was an extremely busy one for me, so compared to my normal reading load, these past few weeks have been fairly low. Today, I’ll simply be telling you the books I read, give them a rating, and provide a quick little summary. Hopefully, this inspires you to keep reading because reading is really one of the best things you can do for yourself!

1. Caste by Isabel Wilkerson 
    • Rate: 9/10
    • Summary: In her book, Caste, Isabel Wilkerson examines the caste system here within the United States. She does so comparing the caste systems located within the United States, Nazi Germany, and India. In doing so, she shows the impenetrability of a caste system. Wilkerson further goes on to define the pillars and foundations of the caste system, and implies that the only way to defeat a caste system is to deconstruct these longstanding ideologies. 
    • Reflections: Wilkerson’s book reveals a harsh truth about the United States that is incredibly important to discuss. Her work depicts narratives of different people around the world who have fallen victim to the caste system which made it feel a bit more “real” than a traditional textbook would. I think I appreciate her work so much because of the topics it covers. This is all such important information when it comes to fixing a nation whose societal structures had never even allowed it to grow into an ideal America. Caste systems impact people all over the world, and by drawing attention to it, she is beginning and continuing a very important conversation that needs to be had worldwide. 
  2. Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea
    • Rate: 8/10
    • Summary: Because of Mr. Terupt is a coming of age novel that is told from the viewpoint of a handful of different middle school students. This novel perfectly describes the environment of a middle school classroom as well as the characteristics of children this age. Most importantly, however, this book describes what makes a great teacher. Though it is a book meant for younger children, there are many lessons about kindness in this book that still need to be learned by many adults. 
    • Reflections: As a future teacher, I found this book to be incredibly moving. It is hard to envision what it is like to have a classroom all to yourself and whether your ideas will manage to translate well from lesson plans into the realities of a classroom environment. It is also even more difficult to imagine a good teacher and how to become one. Because of Mr. Terupt addresses these issues and allows people like me to examine a sort of “case study” of what it means to be a teacher. 
  3. Lucy by Jamaica Kincaid 
    • Rate: 7/10
    • Summary: Jamaica Kincaid’s novel depicts a coming of age story in which a young girl immigrates to America from her previously colonized, home country. In this novel she struggles to find herself in this new world full of people who remind her of her much restricted past. This novel discusses large topics such as imperialism, colonization, racism, gender roles, facades, and family roles here within the United States and countries around the world. 
    • Reflections: I think this book is an incredibly useful one in that it calls attention to the world’s need for greater inclusivity and understanding. Everybody comes from a different background and we all need to be a bit more understanding. Furthermore, I think it is an incredibly moving feminist piece that pushes back against the accepted roles of women in the United States. 
  4. Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen
    • Rate: 8/10
    • Summary: Susanna Kaysen documents her struggles with mental health in her memoir, Girl, Interrupted. It follows her personal journey of being diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and her experiences of being institutionalized because of it. Her book critiques mental health hospitals for their lack of information as well as mental health professionals and their blatant disregard for patient experiences. She asks that readers consider more than just the science of an illness but how it impacts the individual suffering from it and their daily lives. 
    • Reflections: This memoir is an honest telling of struggles with mental health issues and therefore I really enjoyed it. Many books that discuss issues of mental health often romanticize the illness and its side effects, however, Kaysen does a great job of avoiding this. In today’s society, I find it important that more people read books like Kaysens in order to gather a more collective understanding of what mental health is, how it can influence an individual, and the faults our current medical system has in treating patients with mental illness. 
Emily Crain

Endicott '24

English Secondary Education Major Gender Studies Minor