It’s Not Okay, It Stops Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

It’s Not Okay, It Stops Now

#MeToo

So basically you are admitting to sexually assaulting me. You’re calling yourself a rapist. Are you?

It is not okay the way some boys treat girls, especially at college. During drunken college parties we become objects once again. Boys think that drunk girls at parties are worth about as much as a solo cup. A thing they can use and then throw away.

I wasn’t sexually assaulted. I wasn’t raped. I didn’t have sex. Yet a boy insisted on telling everyone that we had sex one night after a party. I go to a very small college that is almost the size of my high school and everyone talks to each other. At a party we met and played beer pong together; that was it. Later, another boy texted me “Wanna fuck? You fucked him so why not me?”

WTF??

When I confronted him, he said “You were too drunk to remember it.” He was admitting to rape that didn’t happen. I become an object the minute that boys thought I would have one night stands. As if my body is not my own, but rather just a tool for men.

Boys pat each other on the back for this kind of behavior and it gives them “macho points.” This will never be okay. The worst part is some of them are mentors to younger boys and passing on this mentality to the next generation. The #MeToo movement, started by Alyssa Milano, is about girls speaking out about their experiences when they have been taken advantage of. Hopefully, it will stop them from passing on this behavior.

What would you say to your mother if she told you a guy did this to her and how it made her feel? Or your daughter? Granddaughter? Aunt? Grandmother?

Think of all the women in your life who are close to you, take a minute and realize you do not deserve them if you are going to treat any girl the way you treated me.