jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Deal with Homesickness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

How to Deal with Homesickness

By: Katherine Drumm-Schwartz

Being homesick is a very common worry for incoming freshman. For many people, college is the first time they will be living away from home. I know for me personally, other than the thought of having to make new friends, being homesick was one of the things I was most worried about as I started school. Don’t get me wrong, even as a sophomore I still sometimes find myself missing home. That is completely normal. In fact, it can be a good thing because then you have something wonderful to look forward to when you go on break! Although it is an unpleasant feeling, homesickness is something that many college students experience. If you find yourself missing home, here are some tips to ease your homesickness.

Leave Your Room

I know that when you’re feeling crummy leaving your dorm room is the last thing you want to do. It’s easier to just lay in bed and be sad. Trust me though, just being around people can make you feel better. You don’t have to go out and do something crazy, just sitting and talking with friends can make you feel more connected at school. Going to the dining hall with a group of friends and grabbing dinner is one of my favorite things to do. It’s a nice break from school work and a great time to just be social with new friends.

Talk to Friends at School

It’s easy to think that no one else knows how you feel. However, I promise you that there are  many people who are able to relate your situation. Keep in mind that everyone is in the same boat at the beginning of freshman year. I guarantee if you bring this topic up with your friends, they will all chime in and be more than happy to talk about it with you. Maybe they have some suggestions for some other ways you can cope with this.

Make Your Room Cozy

Decorating my dorm room was one of my favorite things to do when I moved into school. Obviously dorm life is probably not what most people are used to, but moving into a dorm is a fun opportunity to decorate a new room. One thing that you can do to ease your homesickness is make your room cozy. Having a nice comfy bed is something that is very important to me, so I made sure to bring tons of pillows and blankets to make my bed super cozy. If you have a favorite item in your room at home, bring it! I brought my favorite blanket from home and I loved having it on my bed. It made my dorm room feel like home.

Call Home or Call Friends From Home

I’ve heard some people recommend that students shouldn’t call home too often because it will only make them more homesick. I think calling home could affect everyone differently, but it has helped me a lot. I didn’t call home that often, but I definitely talked on the phone with my parents a few times a week. In my family, we have a text group chat so I would find myself texting my family members almost everyday. It was nice to feel connected to them even at school. If you’re one of those people who don’t want to call home because it makes you too sad, then try calling a friend from home. I found this to be very helpful as well because all of my friends from home were in the exact same position as me. This is also a great way to stay in touch with your friends from high school!

Make a Special Space for Yourself at School

Even though socializing can help ease homesickness, being with people 24/7 can become overwhelming. It is important to make sure that you take time to be alone and relax while you’re at school. Find a place on campus where you can go to clear your mind. During my freshman year, I loved going to the bottom floor of my library. I would bring my homework and a pair of headphones and I would be there for hours. It felt very nice to have some alone time and I think it’s crucial that everyone takes some time to be by themselves.

Don’t Beat Yourself Up

Lastly, don’t beat yourself about it. I know I’ve already said this a million times, but homesickness is seriously so common. Everyone experiences it to some degree. Sometimes you just have to let yourself be sad. Try not to fight those sad emotions because they are normal. Who doesn’t love being at home with their family?! Missing home is nothing to be ashamed of!

I am a psychology major at Endicott College
Eva Graef

Endicott