This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Last year, I made the decision to transfer to an American institution. My destination was Beverly-based Endicott College, a tiny college near Boston. Positive attributes of going to this school included the opportunity to make new friends and to get involved in many new activities.

I had the pleasure of getting to know Francesca Levine before I transferred to Endicott College. She attended Endicott College but spent her 2022 spring semester at CIS studying abroad in Spain. The Language Exchange Program gave Francesca and I the chance to interact. This program required participants to talk for ten hours in both Spanish and English in exchange for extra credit in their English classes. We discussed our weekend plans while conversing. We also took amazing images of the various locations we visited in the south of Spain and adored Spanish tourism, cuisine, and drink. We had the chance to discuss my favorite subject and my plan for the last two years of my undergraduate education. My initial course of action was to enroll at Endicott College because I believed it would provide me with the best chance to develop personally, learn, and succeed as an international student.

Making new acquaintances was one of my objectives when I first started college. Us foreign students got the chance to spend time together during the first week of orientation. We traveled to various locations in the state. We didn’t get to see each other as much when the school year began, but we still went out together on the trips that the international office led. I became friends with Hijiri, Yianna, Sarah, Yvok, Natsumi, Emilian, and Ari in the international group, all of whom were different folks from other nations yet all still had similar preferences as me.

Based on my experiences, here are some personal suggestions for becoming close to new people:

1. Communicate with each other via WhatsApp or iMessage, but is preferable face to face
  2. Make as many plans together as possible
  3. Eat meals together
  4. Talk about future goals
  5. Laugh and enjoy life

In conclusion, everyone finds it difficult to meet new individuals. Since it’s hard to find individuals who share your precise viewpoints, learning to be more flexible will help you discover friends more quickly. No matter wherever you go, you can always find someone who enjoys the same things you do, you just have to put yourself out there and find them.

My name is Adriana Salamanca, I am spanish student doing my third year of college. I am studying Business Administration.