Emily from Emily in Paris
Emily from Emily in Paris
Darren Star Productions
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

As a frequent Netflix-goer, I was very eager to watch the new show, Emily in Paris, about a young woman (obviously named Emily) and her experience in Paris. The first season has exactly ten episodes, which range from 26-29 minutes, making it an easy watch.

*Disclaimer, there won’t be any spoilers* 

The show is about a bright-eyed, twenty-something-year-old Emily as she explores herself, her job, and Paris, her new home. Luckily for me, I was able to visit Paris during a week-long visit with my school during a short study abroad program. 

Although my experience was a quick tourist trip, which is quite the opposite of Emily’s experience, I still found Paris absolutely breathtaking. But enough about me… 

One thing I have heard is that many people from France are unhappy with their portrayal of the french throughout the show. This further perpetuates the stereotype that French people are outwardly hostile towards tourists, especially Americans. 

But let’s get back on track. I found this show truly captivating… to the point where my boyfriend and I watched the majority of the episodes all in one night. Lily Collins has always been one of my favorite actresses, especially in the romantic sob-story Love, Rosie. Emily in Paris is a feel-good show, and every episode ends on some form of a cliff-hanger. The sights, food, parties, and everything in between are breathtaking and make me want to move to France on a whim! 

I didn’t find this show cringy, but rather captivating… so I’d rate the content 10/10. 

The romance factor of this show was a rollercoaster, which was entertaining but I still have so many questions about what could possibly happen in season 2… so I’d rate the romance 9.5/10.

Lastly, I think this show deserves to be rated on humor, I’d say… it deserves an 8/10 for comedy. 

Overall, I would rate this show a solid 9/10 –so if you have some free time and need to be entertained, you know what to watch. 

I will say, I understand the frustration from the French perspective, but in reality the French are very welcoming and friendly and I can say that with full confidence! Hopefully, season two has a better portrayal of them, but at the end of the day, it’s simply just a little tv show! 

(Also, if you pronounce the title with a french accent, the title is supposed to rhyme… “Emilee in Paree” *kiss kiss*) 

Well, that’s all for now! Would love to hear what you thought of the show, Emily in Paris. 

Au Revior!

Selia :) 

Selia Potas

Endicott '23

Hi friends! My name is Seal, I'm currently the President of Her Campus, and I'm so excited you're here!! I'm a junior art education major with a concentration in secondary education and a minor in creative arts therapy at Endicott College in Beverly, MA!