This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Cuffing SZN Tips

By Mya Kermelewicz

Ladiez and gentz it’s coming to be that time of year again – cuffing season. If you don’t know what cuffing season is, it’s when people who would normally enjoy being single and promiscuous start to settle down into serious relationships during the colder fall and winter months. It’s the world wanting to be ‘cuffed’ or tied down with someone to cuddle in these depressing and cold times. You might be thinking “Mya it’s literally October,” but hey this week it’s 50 degrees every day so I’m calling it – it’s officially the cold, cuffing season.

Cuffing season is usually temporary because it’s based on wanting to fulfill your psychological and physical needs (cuddling, sex, etc). You may feel happy all the other months and be perfectly content with being single, but it’s the frigid winter months that can just make us want to stay inside with someone and watch movies every night. Odds are you aren’t cuddling on the beach, so it makes sense. This might seem very selfish, especially if you aren’t expecting to stay with this person when springtime comes rolling around. But, it’s perfectly okay to be fulfilling your needs as long as you are being sensitive towards your winter buddy’s needs as well. Here are four basic tips to make sure nobody is getting hurt…

Decide exactly what you are looking for

This is really you creating your own game plan, and rule book for cuffing season. What exactly are you looking for? Do you want a winter fling or a serious relationship? What is going to be best for you at this time in your life? Recognize what you want, and why you want it to fully understand your needs before you start playing with your own and someone else’s heart.

Be as clear as possible about your intentions

Once you have decided what your true intentions are, you have to be honest with your love interest as well. Yes it is important to be protecting your own heart, but it’s also important to be thinking of theirs as well. If you have experience being played or having your heart broken before then you should know why this is important – it sucks! So just try to be considerate of their feelings in the beginning because you should share intentions. Either you’re both looking for a fling, or you’re both looking for a long term relationship. If one person has different intentions then it probably won’t work out the way you want and someone could get hurt.

Don’t be 100% in this emotionally UNLESS you plan on staying

If you and your cuffing buddy decide this is just a winter fling, make sure you aren’t 100% emotionally attached to them or the relationship. You’re probably going to have to keep some kind of emotional boundary for yourself, or else you’re going to have a really hard time letting go. Of course it’s okay if you both decide you want to move from cuffing buddies to long term relationship, but just make sure it’s mutual before putting your heart out there.

Just be nice, plain and simple

When it comes to setting boundaries, and telling someone you only want a winter fling be extremely clear. Clear, and nice that is. Try to spare their feelings and explain in a nice way so that if they wanted something long term they aren’t too hurt. And don’t be embarrassed or feel selfish for knowing what you want this winter.