Building Self-Care Into Your Daily Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Mya Kermelewicz

I think so many people put all of their energy into others and work on a daily basis, forgetting about their own needs and desires. In my psychology classes we talk a lot about a concept called “burn-out” meaning when someone spends 40 hours or more a week giving to others and forgetting about themselves which causes natural emotional exhaustion. This comes with side effects like fatigue, anxiety, and depression. It is extremely common in social work, nursing, and teaching. This got me thinking about how many people even outside of these professions experience burn-out. It’s wonderful to be so caring and sensitive to everyone else’s needs, but you have to make sure you are looking out for yourself as well. You want to stay healthy and happy just like the loved ones or clients you are putting your energies into. Trust me they want you to feel loved and healthy as well. Here are ways you can slowly add self-care into your everyday routine.  

Determine what self-love means to you

Everyone is different. You are going to have your own needs and desires. Ask yourself what makes you happy, what would make you feel relaxed, and what you would do if you had time to yourself in the day.

Write down a list of your ideal day and schedule

Write down exactly what your ideal day would look like if you could have it any way you wanted. Compare this to your normal schedule and see what you can realistically change to make you happier.

Specifically choose one or two things you can add into your everyday routine

With what you have just realized about your wants and needs, you can build the self-care into your ideal and realistic schedule. Remember this can be only ten minutes of your day if that is all you have time for. It can be something simple like a face mask, or having a glass of wine. Whatever is going to fit best for you.

Treat this like any other goal you set

Use your dedication and determination to complete the self-care you have chosen. Hold yourself accountable, and even get someone else to hold you accountable and help keep you on track. You should be consistent to keep your sanity and avoid burn-out. You can even get one of those healthy tracker apps on your phone to track your progress and reward yourself when you reach your goals. Make it fun!

Lastly remember not to feel guilty! EVERYONE deserves self-care and self-love.