This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Iceland is a beautiful place to visit. It is also unique because in the summer, there are 22 hours of daylight but in the winer there are 22 hours of darkness. Whether you want to visit Iceland on its own, or it is a stopover destination for your trip, here are the best places to visit.

The Blue Lagoon

The Blue Lagoon is a must visit for your trip to Iceland. The Blue Lagoon is a geothermal spa in a lava field. The water in the blue lagoon is said to have healing properties. When my family and I got off the plane in Reykjavik, Iceland we took a shuttle right to the Blue Lagoon. It only took about 45 minutes to get there. Plus, it felt amazing after all the traveling we did!

Reykjavik

The capital and largest city in Iceland is a sleek, modern place. While the native language is Icelandic, almost everyone speaks English.

Visit Hallgrimskirkja Church

Hallgrimskirkja Church is the largest church in Iceland and is located in the center of Reykjavik. In front of the church is a statue of Leif Eriksson, the first man to discover North America.

Black Sand Beach

While is is a little over two hours away from Reykjavik, the black sand beach is a sight worth seeing. The black sand beach is also called Djúpalón Beach and is located in Snæfellsjökull National Park, which also features a glacier and breathtaking hiking trails.

Waterfalls

There are many breathtaking waterfalls to see in Iceland. Some of the ones I visited were Gullfoss, Faxi, and Öxarárfoss waterfalls.

The Great Geysir

The Great Geysir, located in Southwest Iceland was the first geyser written about in a printed source as well as the first geyser known to modern Europeans.  

Golden Circle Tour

The Golden Circle Tour is a tour that loops from Reykjavik into the surrounding areas. It is a popular tourist attraction. Some things you can see on the tour include Thingvellir National Park, the Geysir, Gullfoss Waterfall, and the Kerid Crater.

Watch the Northern Lights

Iceland is one of the few places you can go to see the northern lights. The best time to go is between September and April. One place you can watch the northern lights in the Reykjavik area is in Seltjarnarnes, which is only about two miles away.

Jökulsárlón Glacial Lagoo

Jökulsárlón is a large glacial lagoon on Iceland’s southeast coast. It comes from Europe’s largest glacier, Vatnajökull.

Puffin Island

Only half a mile away from Reykjavik, you can take a boat to the uninhabited island of Akurey to see the large puffin population as well as other wildlife.

Hekla Volcano

This volcano is still active and has been since 1104. It is still a beautiful place and has been the location of many films.

Whale Watching

You can go on a whale watching tour from Reykjavik and see whales, dolphins and puffins.

Leidarendi Lava Cave

The Leidarendi Lava Caves, are impressive and colorful rock formations, which aren’t far from Reykjavik at all.

Climb Mount Esja

Mount Esja is the mountain that towers above Reykjavik, It looks beautiful from the ground but the views are even better if you climb to the top.

I hope these tips help you to plan the best trip to Iceland! Enjoy!

Hi my name is Elizabeth Dooher. I am a junior at Endicott College studying hospitality management. I enjoy running, reading, baking, traveling and hanging out with friends.
Endicott College HC Campus Correspondent, double majoring in International Business and Marketing!