10 Things I Learned My Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.
Don’t wear your lanyard around your neck

No one really walks around with their lanyard around their neck. Just put it in your bag or your jacket pocket.

You might not become friends with the first people you mee

When first entering college, everyone is eager to make friends. If you feel like you don’t clique with the first people you meet, that’s okay! Keep trying to talk to different people and you’ll eventually find your besties.

It’s okay to sit alone in the dining hall

It’s totally normal to sit alone in the dining hall, so don’t feel bad if you can’t find a friend to eat with. You can always bring a book or your laptop and work on some homework.

You probably won’t become best friends with your roommate

If you do become best friends with your roommate, awesome! If not, that’s totally normal — sometimes it’s for the best.

Don’t get too stressed out over everything

Make sure to take some time out of your day to focus on yourself and take a break. Go for a walk, take a nap, watch a TV show — do whatever you need to do to relax and recharge.

Don’t procrastinate

You might have gotten away with it in high school, but college is a different story. Make sure you plan ahead and get your work done early so you don’t have to pull an all-nighter (trust me, they’re not fun).

You won’t have the same routine everyday

In high school, you probably had the same general routine everyday. College is different; sometimes you have busy days full of classes and meetings, and sometimes you have days where you watch Netflix and sleep all day.

Get off campus and explore

We live in a beautiful area of New England, so try to get off campus and explore the North Shore as much as you can. You can call an Uber or use the shuttle system we have at Endicott.

Set a timer for your laundry

It’s very frustrating when you’re trying to do laundry and someone left their stuff in the washer/dryer. Remember to be courteous to your fellow neighbors and grab your load when its done.

Get out of your room!

Don’t lock yourself in your room all day; get out and get involved in your school’s community.

And most importantly… have fun! Your four years at college are going to fly by, so make the most of it and enjoy the journey :)

Meghann Haley

Endicott '22

I am a marketing communications major at Endicott College!
Endicott College HC Campus Correspondent, double majoring in International Business and Marketing!