10 Reasons Why You Should be a Camp Counselor Next Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

For the past five summers I have been a camp counselor at a day camp in my hometown. I think having a summer job is very useful because it’s a way to make a little extra money while we’re not in school. All of my friends have jobs and personally, I would go stir crazy if I didn’t have something to keep me busy over the summer. I began going to Sudbury Summer Day Camp when I was in kindergarden. The camp is K-5 and I went all the way up until fifth grade. When I was twelve years old I signed up for the CIT program so that I could learn how to become a counselor. Once I was old enough I decided to apply for a real counselor position. That was honestly one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. Not only did the counselor position provide me with a summer job, but I made so many new friends and had the opportunity to work with so many incredible campers. If you’re in need of a summer job I would truly recommend considering a camp counselor position because there are so many reasons why it’s an amazing summer job.

#1 You get to form relationships with co-counselors and campers

The friends you make at camp will seriously last a lifetime. Similarly to the friends you meet at college, you’re around these people 24/7 and you all get to share this incredible experience. Even though camp only last about two months, the bonds that are formed over the summer are stronger than you could ever imagine. This past summer, I worked with three co-counselors. They were all younger than I was, but they are some of the greatest people I have ever met. One of the coolest things about camp is that it brings together all of these people who otherwise probably would not become friends due to our different interests and different ages. Throughout the summer the four of us had a group chat that we would use to plan dress up days and group games, and we still use it now that camp is over. At least one of us texts in the group everyday whether it’s just to say hey or to send a funny picture they saw on Instagram that made them think of camp.

#2 You get paid to play

This one is pretty self explanatory. At camp, no matter what age group you’re working with, you’re ultimately getting paid to play. Over the summer I got to play dodgeball, musical chairs, freeze tag, and so many more fun games. By the end of the summer, me and my co-counselors were making up our own games in order to keep our campers occupied. I also got to tie-dye shirts, build volcanoes out of sand, and make slime. Honestly, sometimes I think that I’m having more fun than my campers are. It’s true what they say, counselors really are just big campers.

#3 You get to be a role model

This one is one of my favorites. When you’re a camp counselor, your campers think the world of you. They look up to you and adore you. You can encourage them to try new things, and teach them to always be themselves. Your campers will also love it if you have any cool talents. If you can do things as simple as gimp or origami, they will think you’re the coolest person in the world. It doesn’t always seem like it, but your campers truly are watching everything you do.

#4 You get to take a break from technology

This one probably doesn’t sound too appealing to a lot of people, and quite honestly it doesn’t even sound too appealing to me either. But truthfully it’s one of my favorite parts of my job. Since I work at a day camp, my hours are 7am-3pm, so that’s a good eight hours without my phone. When I became a camp counselor I realized how much time I was spending on my phone, and it wasn’t good. By being forced to leave my phone in my backpack all day, it forced me to be present. I got to have real conversations at camp. Conversations that involve eye contact and not just everyone talking while staring at their phone screens.

#5 You get good exercise

When I get home after a long day of camp, all I want to do it eat everything in my fridge, and then go take a fat nap. It’s insane how tired I am after camp. Camp counselors really are on their feet all day. The only time when we get to sit is during lunch and snack time, and that’s only when we’re not running to the other side of the picnic table to open a camper’s yogurt. One of the best parts of camp is that you get good exercise but it’s fun exercise. The amount of energy that the campers have is incredible. They definitely will keep you on your feet all day.

#6 Free field trips

Okay, these aren’t even free field trips. You’re actually getting paid to go on field trips. At my camp, field trips are the best days of the week for campers and counselors. This summer I got to go to Legoland, the zoo, bowling, the movies, roller skating, and the beach. So, if you’re hesitant to get a summer job because you think it will get in the way of you being able to go on fun summer trips, a camp counselor position seems perfect for you.

#7 You don’t have to worry about hair or make up

This is definitely one of my favorite parts about the job. I have to be at camp at 7:00am every morning, but I set my alarm for 6:40am, calculating in the 10 minute commute. For school, I typically wake up at least an hour before my first class, so that I have time to pick out my outfit and do my hair and makeup. Camp is a nice break from that routine. I roll out of bed, throw on my camp t-shirt, put my hair in a ponytail, and I’m off to work. Your campers don’t care at all how you look, and it doesn’t make sense to put in effort to your appearance because all camp counselors look like zombies by the end of the day.

#8 You get to be outside all day

I personally think it would be hard to have a job that is inside during the summer. Being a camp counselor allows you to enjoy the sunshine and warm weather! The one thing you have to watch out for is the t-shirt tan. By the end of the summer my shoulders and the tops of my arms are way paler than the rest of my arms. Being a camp counselor gives you a new appreciation for nature as well. We always go on nature walks and get to see all of the cool creatures and plants in the woods. It’s adorable how fascinated five year olds are by mushrooms.

#9 You can learn things from your campers

Even though they are much younger than you, the things you are able to learn from your campers will amaze you. Their young minds and creativity are incredible. Throughout the summer I learned so much about each one of my campers. They all had such different stories and experiences. I learned all about the kindergarten classes that they were going to this fall, I learned about their families, and even about their hobbies and favorite television shows. After this summer I can proudly say that I can name every character on PAW Patrol.

#10 It is the most rewarding job ever

Although it can be sad, one of the best feelings in the world is when your campers don’t want to leave on the last day of camp. That is proof that all of your hard work over the summer has paid off. Knowing that you were able to provide your children with a camp experience that they don’t want to leave means that you did an awesome job.

I am a psychology major at Endicott College
Eva Graef

Endicott