Winning at Your Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Congrats—your search is over and you’ve snagged an exciting (or at least resume-building) summer internship! No more networking, no more interview prep, no more waiting around with ever-present butterflies in your stomach for that glorious conformation email. You got it!
Now, how do you totally win at your internship? Her Campus Emory, with a little advice from Forbes, is here to help.

1) Dress for Success, not like a Hot Mess: Before taking any fashion risks, dress conservatively and feel out the office outfit vibes. Start out wearing flats and see how high your co-workers’ heels rise before trying any of your favorite pumps. Things to avoid: flip flops, shorts, mini skirts and short dresses, denim, and clingy, low-cut clothing. Embrace: blazers, white button downs, pencil skirts, dresses, and simple or classic accessories (try a summer scarf!). There’s a distinct difference between a corporate internship and an internship in a more creative field, too, so dress for your company. For more help on internship fashion, check out this past Her Campus article.

2) Time it Right: Arrive on time—or early! You may have already been to the office for your interview, but it might be a good idea to check out how long the drive to your internship is factoring in morning traffic; test drive it the day before. Also, you might get big points for staying late. This shows you’re taking the internship seriously, which could contribute to a potential job in the future.

3) Know your Stuff: First off, make sure your background research of the company is complete. Know who’s in charge of everything, know who is in charge of you, and address them correctly. Figure out your company’s stance on relevant topics or on other companies. Most importantly, don’t be afraid to ask questions. This ensures you understand your tasks and also shows that you are curious and engaged—two qualities your supervisor will remember if you ask for recommendations in the future.

4) Keep Calm and Carry On—and also Take Initiative: You’re an intern. There is a good chance you’re unpaid. You may have tons of great ideas for the company, but there is a good chance you will be making a lot of coffee runs. Sorry bout it. Just keep doing what you’re supposed to, don’t complain, and know that if you show you can follow directions well, you might actually move up in the office hierarchy in the future and have a college student of your own taking your Starbucks orders. But don’t stop there—also take initiative! Make efforts to always greet and even network with the professionals you work with. Take on extra projects; project your skills and talents to get special assignments. An internship can be a direct path to a future job if you work it right.

Happy interning, and if you have an awesome experience, be sure to let Her Campus Emory know about it!

Allison is a senior at Emory University studying Journalism and the rather complicated major of Interdisciplinary Studies: Visual Studies and Contemporary Cultures. She is slightly obsessed with magazines and has written and edited for Her Campus since its start at Emory her freshman year. At Emory she can generally be found giving tours to prospies, hanging with her ADPi sisters, DJ-ing with WMRE and om-ing in yoga classes. Allison enjoys music, drawing, and fashion, and like most college students she is completely addicted to coffee. After graduation she wants to work in public relations or marketing, but her secret dream is to become Lena Dunham. Follow her on Twitter: @alldayallison
Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).