Wedding Season: What to Wear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Wedding season is upon us, and although we may not be the ones walking down the aisle, we still have a role in the pew – the young friend or relative who, taken or not, will be dancing and mingling with the guests.  It’s almost just as stressful for us as it is for the bride.  Yes, it’s her day, but what do we wear so that we don’t upstage the bride but still look hot and presentable?  She might have to worry about her gown and if the guests are having fun, but we have to ward off the groom’s crazy brother.  And for the single girls, weddings are the best place to find a man who either has just realized he is ready for a relationship after watching his best friend tie the knot, or one who is just as scared as you are about being with one person for eternity. 

What to wear for all of the different possibilities?  The boho yet sophisticated long-dress-look is wonderful with chunky wedges, eccentric jewelry and a colorful clutch (see Olcay Gulsen and BCBGMaxazria dresses).  

This can also be offset with the flirty and girly style, which can be worn in a basic color to steer attention towards the bride (Shoshanna or Tibi)…

…or in a muted bright to show that you are daring, but also conscientious that the day is not about you (Rebecca Taylor, BCBG dresses).

Be aware of the wedding setting, though.  A pearl blue cocktail dress works for both beach and city weddings, day or night…

…but a light yellow or Lilly Pullitzer dress is more appropriate for a day garden wedding. 

Let the festivities commence!

All images courtesy of shopbop.com.

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).